+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Multiple False Positives on HPT's ... confused why do I keep getting them?

Hi Ladies

When we were TTC#1 the only time I got a BFP was when I was pregnant (I was pregnant twice the first time was a blighted ovum & the second time was with DS).

Since TTC#2 in the past 18months I've had multiple false positives. I definitely was not pregnant so not an early m/c. Can something else cause false positives or have I just been unlucky and getting faulty tests?

3 with First Response - the 2nd line showed immediately but was grey not blue.

4 with Crystal Clear - with 2 of them the second line came up within the first 3 minutes & was the same colour but was nowhere near the width of the control line. The other 2 the second line came up within the first 10 minutes but was grey not blue.

I wasn't on Clomid for any of the cycles with false positives.

It's really upsetting getting these & now I'm going to second guess any future BFP's, talk about screwing with ones head!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in the same boat, I get false +ves all the time.

I ONLY use FRERs now as these have proven to be the only reliable tests for me.

I've also learned that any line that's not the right colour or width is a false +ve and not to get my hopes up.

My OB also said not to ever test before your period is late, as early results can be misleading. I'm going to follow that advice from now on.

It's terribly frustrating, I feel your pain.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    High baseline pituitary hCG might get up enough to be detected on HPT.

Thanks
    Reviews

This is driving me insane!

I've been doing a HPT every morning for the past few days and to start with their was no 2nd line showing, then a extremely faint line appeared but it could only be seen if you tilted the test in a certain light. I couldn't tell what colour the line was as it was that faint.

This morning I did another test with FMU (but I had gone to the toilet 4 times last night (0-1 times is normal)) and the line again is extremely faint but is getting darker & looks like it may have a tint of colour in it. But it's so faint I can't say for sure that it isn't grey.

All the test lines appeared in the 1st 5 minutes so I would assume they are not evaporation lines.

af isn't due till around the 10th March so this maybe a BFP or another stuffed up result.

I googled pituitary gland HCG so I guess it could be that but if it was would it show a +ve result on one brand of test but -ve on another (both tests done at the same time)?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Are you sure your not having frequent chemical pregs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old are you?
    I read that the FRER tests were known to throw up false positives for women over 40.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Are you sure your not having frequent chemical pregs?

That would show on a blood test wouldn't it? Every BT done after the false positive has come back with no HCG present, they did a quantitive test each time.

There's been no change in af, it shows it's ugly head around CD30 - CD33, it's never been late.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    How old are you?
    I read that the FRER tests were known to throw up false positives for women over 40.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub
    I'll be 34 in 6 weeks.

The First Response I used were those dipstick tests and I don't think they are the same as the FRER tests, are they?

The ones I am using now are the internet cheapies (David HCG Strips), I haven't used these previously. The internet cheapies I used with DS were PregNow brand and I never had an issue with them, or any other brand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybump08 View Post
    I googled pituitary gland HCG so I guess it could be that but if it was would it show a +ve result on one brand of test but -ve on another (both tests done at the same time)?
    It would depend on the detection limit of the brand. I found it difficult (impossible) to get that info. Only Pregnosis stated it's detection limit on the box, and the pharmacist was no help.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsdj1234 View Post
    How old are you?
    That's most likely due to the pituitary hCG increasing with age (like FSH does), combined with the low detection limit of FRER.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

babybump08  (06-03-2012)