+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I like to think of it this way (regarding Noah's ark) when we 'see' things like the pyramids (and I studied architecture) how were these built? What did they use, did they have machinery we don't know about? How did they do it in the time frames? So many questions that still!!! to this day with all our knowledge we have questions and dont have the answers, maybe this way, maybe that way, ??
    There are alot of un answered things in regards to structures and mans ability to build them. So Noah's Ark I believe can be very close to accurate as written in the bible, but because we don't see it or understand it, it's easier to say its just impossible.
    Imagine the pyramids werent there, no pictures and only a story of them in a book that alot of people don't believe in, does it mean they never existed or werent possible to build?
    Nothing in this world is impossible and we can't explain everything, having faith is just that, faith. You can't always have the answers and life is hard, living isn't easy, humans need help and God and other help people through life.
    ..but the pyramids ARE there..there is evidence.
    And yes people are able to explore and come up with ideas for how they were built...people have actually looked so close now that they have worked out that not ALL of the stones used were stacked alone - they found evidence of a mixture, water bubbles found in the stone show they used some sort of cement like mixture.
    I do find them fascinating.

Thing is though - evidence that the Arc existed has yet to be found. People still walk mount Ararat hoping to find something to attempt to prove this story.
    I am more than happy to accept people came up with this story as a metaphor for something though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old do you think the Earth is?

..if you don't mind me asking

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    How old do you think the Earth is?

..if you don't mind me asking
    I once knew a man who was a professor teaching and researching science at several universities. He believes very much in the literal translation of the bible. He was wonderful to speak to about bible stories and really helped me answer some questions I had. Nevertheless, I don't think an explanation exists for everything.

I did a bit of research re: the when studying ancient history and many countries do have a layer of sediment that would be present after a worldwide flood. Because this doesn't change what I believe about God and salvation I guess I don't spend much time dwelling on explaining everything ? God is mysterious, I accept that.

The bible timeline suggests the world is 6-7000 years old. More and more carbon dating is being disproved as a reliable measurement. I don't think any scientists can really prove anything for sure.

I know some people who believe that the world has existed many times over, and that we aren't the first creation. Some people I know believe that the Angels assisting God now are the saints of the creation

Who knows??? Not enough info for me to decide

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My problem with the bible is that unless you're trained in how to read it, taking it literally is a bad idea. Language has changed since it was written. For example, often there are parts where a person goes into the bushes to "cover his feet".
    If we take that literally, it makes NO sense. It's actually a euphemism for, well... Having a poo! Charming, no? But the language that was used for the most part hasn't changed. Taking the bible at face value is as dangerous as taking a newspaper article as fact. There's always different ways to take things, and as always the writings are colored by the reader.
    I find religion fascinating, it's always good to discuss it with people who don't loose their minds when you question things!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Guest Guest
    ..but the pyramids ARE there..there is evidence.
    And yes people are able to explore and come up with ideas for how they were built...people have actually looked so close now that they have worked out that not ALL of the stones used were stacked alone - they found evidence of a mixture, water bubbles found in the stone show they used some sort of cement like mixture.
    I do find them fascinating.

Thing is though - evidence that the Arc existed has yet to be found. People still walk mount Ararat hoping to find something to attempt to prove this story.
    I am more than happy to accept people came up with this story as a metaphor for something though.
    That's my point, they're there, people can see them and study it, but still have questions and don't have all the answers on how they were built.
    So because the ark isn't there its harder to believe and understand, but it doesn't mean it's not true or impossible. If the pyramids weren't there to study and only written about in text, do you think people would even believe they existed? Let alone try and figure out how they were built?
    Some things need faith to believe because we don't have the proof or knowledge.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Carbon Dating is used for measuring orgainc materials and can only go back so far using the rate that Carbon decays.

Geologists have worked over hundreds of years though looking at rocks and those sedimentary layers you mention are what have exposed fossils that show how pre historic life lived and evolved.

How does the bible explain the age of the Earth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Some Kabbalists believe ( I think a pp mentioned) this world was not G-DS first , he made a few more but he was not happy with them , cave man and dinosaurs he wasn't impressed with so created the ice age to wipe them
    Out then he created the first humans Adam and Eve , so science has found evidence of the old worlds

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    That's my point, they're there, people can see them and study it, but still have questions and don't have all the answers on how they were built.
    So because the ark isn't there its harder to believe and understand, but it doesn't mean it's not true or impossible. If the pyramids weren't there to study and only written about in text, do you think people would even believe they existed? Let alone try and figure out how they were built?
    Some things need faith to believe because we don't have the proof or knowledge.
    But they ARE there.

That is MY point.

We don't have to 'imagine' that pyramids existed because there is evidence of them existing.

The Earth has seen many disasters, yes. Ice ages, floods, being hit by space rock.
    And they have all helped shape the lives of the inhabitants...

This story of Noah's Ark is where God gives permission to Man to eat meat and repopulate the Earth. How did this one family do this?
    You know there is much more reliable proof (the type we don't have to imagine) that humans as we know them today stem from Africa?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Some Kabbalists believe ( I think a pp mentioned) this world was not G-DS first , he made a few more but he was not happy with them , cave man and dinosaurs he wasn't impressed with so created the ice age to wipe them
    Out then he created the first humans Adam and Eve , so science has found evidence of the old worlds
    Man and dinosaurs didn't exist at the same time.

Dinosaurs existed along side some mammals and birds though -- and they are still around today

Guest Guest
    But they ARE there.

That is MY point.

We don't have to 'imagine' that pyramids existed because there is evidence of them existing.

The Earth has seen many disasters, yes. Ice ages, floods, being hit by space rock.
    And they have all helped shape the lives of the inhabitants...

This story of Noah's Ark is where God gives permission to Man to eat meat and repopulate the Earth. How did this one family do this?
    You know there is much more reliable proof (the type we don't have to imagine) that humans as we know them today stem from Africa?
    Yes I know they are there. Why I used this example is because if they weren't there and only written about people wouldn't believe it even though it's true.