+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know that in the bible it does say for us to confess our sins one to another, not necessarily a priest and not necessarily for forgiveness. I think it's more for our own benefit so we get to talk about our problems rather than harbouring them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies! I'll have to look up Maccabees when on the computer, it sounds like it could be an interesting read. I had a feeling the Catholic bible could be slightly different but wasn't sure

Desderama, your comment just got me thibking- I guess we do do something similar in some churches with accountability groups/ partners-sort of the same thing just under a different name really.

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read much of the extra books in the catholic bible either, Maria - but I do find it interesting & would like to read more!

I think that the main reason that the church originally split into the 'catholic' and the 'christian' church was because the church leaders were deciding which books should go into the bible, and they couldn't agree. Some thought that the deutorocannonical books (the extra books that are in the catholic bible) should be in the bible, some thought that they should not. So they split into 2 religious groups with 2 versions of the bible - well, I guess very similar, just that one has a few extra books.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Also...in one of the other threads someone mentioned Catholicism and I was wondering if there were any Catholics, or ex Catholics, around (misskitty...sorry I couldn't see your full name on the iphone- wish we could tag people here like on fb!) I feel like I know a lot about Catholicism, maybe because it's in the news a lot, but not much if that makes sense?

Probably the number one things I've wondered about are purgatory and confession to priests. I can't find any evidence of either in the Bible and I'm pretty sure the Catholics use the same one as most other denominations (correct me if I'm wrong!) where do these ideas come from? and how come they've stayed over the centuries?

Looking forward to chatting!
    The Sacrament of Penance/Reconcilliation (there are seven sacraments) is a process that has changed over the years - in my grandparents day you went into the confessional with you on one side and the priest on the other and there was a separation between you. When I made my first reconcilliation, you still went into a private area and you were one on one but face to face with the priest. By my last highschool years, the 2nd rite of reconcilliation had come into practice.

Wiki actually gives a pretty good summary http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrame...olic_Church%29

I'll come back to purgatory (not literally)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Also...in one of the other threads someone mentioned Catholicism and I was wondering if there were any Catholics, or ex Catholics, around (misskitty...sorry I couldn't see your full name on the iphone- wish we could tag people here like on fb!) I feel like I know a lot about Catholicism, maybe because it's in the news a lot, but not much if that makes sense?

Probably the number one things I've wondered about are purgatory and confession to priests. I can't find any evidence of either in the Bible and I'm pretty sure the Catholics use the same one as most other denominations (correct me if I'm wrong!) where do these ideas come from? and how come they've stayed over the centuries?

Looking forward to chatting!
    I liked Miss KFs explanation but thought I'd mention that for any of our Christian friends who want to know where the Biblical tie-in for a Catholic teaching is, there's always the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

It's kind of an encyclopaedia of the main Catholic teachings and its online as well (as in a large book version which no-one reads cover to cover cos you wouldn't read an encyclopaedia that way).

It's relatively new - about 20 years old, compared to thousands - and has a kind of legalish explanation as well as cross refs to scripture. I find it useful when someone like yourself asks a perfectly reasonable question that I hadn't thought about cos I took it for granted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsd View Post
    I liked Miss KFs explanation but thought I'd mention that for any of our Christian friends who want to know where the Biblical tie-in for a Catholic teaching is, there's always the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

It's kind of an encyclopaedia of the main Catholic teachings and its online as well (as in a large book version which no-one reads cover to cover cos you wouldn't read an encyclopaedia that way).

It's relatively new - about 20 years old, compared to thousands - and has a kind of legalish explanation as well as cross refs to scripture. I find it useful when someone like yourself asks a perfectly reasonable question that I hadn't thought about cos I took it for granted.
    Oh yes, good point! And gosh, it is only 20 yrs old. I first read your post and thought pfft, it's not that old! But it is.....one of those I feel really old moments!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the information! The wiki link was really good found a PDF of the Catholic catechism so that's my bedtime reading for tonight I think...I'll be back!

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Oh yes, good point! And gosh, it is only 20 yrs old. I first read your post and thought pfft, it's not that old! But it is.....one of those I feel really old moments!
    Oh I know those moments- the other day I was in the car & a song from the mid 90s - 'In the Garden' from 2005 I think? Caught myself thinking 'wow this song must be close to 20 years old now' ......eek!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm SO SORRY it's taken me this long to log on via a computer. Ummm... I will find the private thread so we can talk about this trinity business