+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2634353637 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's a hard question because 'blind faith' is a paradox in itself. What is faith if it's not going in blind? If you don't believe it until you see it is then it's not faith is it? Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things UNSEEN. That's the whole point of faith.

My faith was a gift from God, he gave me my faith...not man! Man tried to take my faith away but they didn't give it to me....they don't have that power.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes I do agree all faith is blind by the virtue of believing in something intangible. If it was proven then it would be fact not faith... although the 2 can exist together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Regina- As someone who grew up in a non religious family and didn't become a Christian until the age of 21, I really get quite offended if people think we must all be following along blindly!

When I became one I really didn't know ANYTHING. But the sense of peace that I had the moment that I became right with God was so overwhelming that I've never doubted for a moment since then. Every year just adds more and more to my certainty that this is what I was looking for for 21 years!

However.... I had to reconcile 21 years of living in the 'world' with the teachings of the Bible. What was important to me and what I'd been taught -I was now looking at everything with a completely new take on it, and I don't like to not have answers- so eg. Creationism as that's the hot topic of the moment- how did I reconcile that with evolution as that was all I'd ever heard before?

Lots of questions! It's an ongoing process, I hope I never stop asking questions and learning more. I think, too, the more I question and learn about God and his creation the more sure I feel about it. I've never had a question answered that has led me away from the truth of the Bible- only ever closer to it and more convinced of its truth.

I think that's lovely how you used to do that after church as a family! DH and I are both from non- Christian families- so having a Christian family and encouraging the kids to think about God is a new thing for us. I might mention that idea to him

Oh and I get what you say about using the word religion. I don't think of Christianity as a religion (although I've been using it on these threads just for simplicity's sake) In fact I hardly use the word Christian to describe myself because that could just about mean anything these days! I usually say I'm a follower of Jesus. But again just saying "Christian" makes it easy when in threads like this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also...in one of the other threads someone mentioned Catholicism and I was wondering if there were any Catholics, or ex Catholics, around (misskitty...sorry I couldn't see your full name on the iphone- wish we could tag people here like on fb!) I feel like I know a lot about Catholicism, maybe because it's in the news a lot, but not much if that makes sense?

Probably the number one things I've wondered about are purgatory and confession to priests. I can't find any evidence of either in the Bible and I'm pretty sure the Catholics use the same one as most other denominations (correct me if I'm wrong!) where do these ideas come from? and how come they've stayed over the centuries?

Looking forward to chatting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I thought after the resurrection, Jesus sent the ministers to forgive sins, like his father had sent him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and I get what you say about using the word religion. I don't think of Christianity as a religion (although I've been using it on these threads just for simplicity's sake) In fact I hardly use the word Christian to describe myself because that could just about mean anything these days! I usually say I'm a follower of Jesus. But again just saying "Christian" makes it easy when in threads like this.
    I'm the same, I don't like using it but I do for simplicity. Just because someone SAYS they're christian doesn't make it so. You can sit in a barn and say moo but it doesn't make you a cow, so to speak.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I was baptised, raised and educated catholic maria

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Also...in one of the other threads someone mentioned Catholicism and I was wondering if there were any Catholics, or ex Catholics, around (misskitty...sorry I couldn't see your full name on the iphone- wish we could tag people here like on fb!) I feel like I know a lot about Catholicism, maybe because it's in the news a lot, but not much if that makes sense?

Probably the number one things I've wondered about are purgatory and confession to priests. I can't find any evidence of either in the Bible and I'm pretty sure the Catholics use the same one as most other denominations (correct me if I'm wrong!) where do these ideas come from? and how come they've stayed over the centuries?

Thanks for sharing about your upbringing, Maria... I love to hear stories about people's journey towards a relationship with God.

I'm not catholic, but I have studied some christian history (very basic!) a few years ago - I'm a bit rusty, so if please correct me, anyone who knows differently, if I am wrong!

I'm not so sure about purgatory, but in regards to confession to the priests and also paying pennance... I'm fairly sure it originated after the Great Persecution. Christianity/ Catholicism was illegal, and anyone who admitted to their beliefs was persecuted, jailed and killed. Many were punished for confessing their beliefs. People survived by denying faith in Christ. When the new leader was appointed (I forget who - Constantine?) Who said it was now legal to believe, and allowed the churches to be re-opened, etc, there were many survivors who went back to church, who had denied Christ. There were other survivors who had been jailed for admitting their beliefs, and their family members had been killed, etc. for standing up for Christ. They felt cheated - how can we, worship together in church, when we have suffered persecution, and others have denied Christ and gotten off scot free? Surely they should not be allowed to worship alongside us! So, it was decided, that they could confess their sins, and those who had denied Christ could pay a penance for what they had done. This made the others who had suffered persecution feel justified, that they could now worship alongside others who had escaped persecution, because they had all paid for their faith in some way or another.

So... that is my very basic understanding of how confession/ penance began! As I said, I may have some facts incorrect, so I'm willing to be corrected if I am wrong

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses!

Big Red V - do you know where that idea might have come from? It's not in the Bible- the disciples were sent to spread the good news, but only God can forgive sins....

Regina- thanks for that, that's really interesting. Does confession to a priest still continue today? I'm wondering how Catholics today reconcile confessing to a priest with the Bible saying only God can forgive sins...

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post

The Catholic bible and Eastern Orthodox bible is different from most of the Protestant bibles and have a few extra "books" in them. One is Maccabees 1 which mentions purgatory and praying for the dead.

Also - confession in the Catholic church is not about getting pardon for your sins from a priest. In confession we still ask for God's pardon, but we humble ourselves in the presence of God's servant (the priest) and voice our sins in this manner. I'm catholic and that's what I have always understood by this. =)