+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 369
  1. #331
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks Des,
    Regina came back with a great reply earlier re the point I was trying to make - [that may have been dragged on for too long. ]

    That 'yes' it may have been only teh middle east that got flooded and the people of teh middle east may have seen that as 'the world'.

    That acknoweldged my point.
    And makes more sense to 'me'.

    I did appreciate that.

    acknowledging that proposed 'maybe' obvioulsy hasn't diminished Regina's faith any.
    ..and wasn't what I was trying to do.

  2. #332
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,129
    Thanks
    5,082
    Thanked
    1,220
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm interested to know what "speaking in tongues" entails, I've heard of it but never looked into it.

    I guess I could google but since we're on the subject!

  3. #333
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    984
    Thanks
    238
    Thanked
    313
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    No because Jesus chose male apostles, we dont know why but its not up to us to question Jesus.
    They do allow priests to marry however unlike catholic. I agree with this because the apostles were married and if Jesus and god saw them fit to spread the word of Jesus there's no need to be celibate. But I'm pretty sure they have a reason, can't remember what it is?
    I *think* that the remaining celibate thing is twofold. One, Paul (who remained unmarried his whole life) said in Corinthians "I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am.” He says some have the gift of singleness and some the gift of marriage. So it's not a command, but what he considered a benefit of being single. He didn't have to worry about the extra problems and stresses that come with marriage and/or family. He devoted his entire life to spreading the Word of God. He didn't believe he would have been such a useful messenger if he had been married.

    The second reason I believe is that nuns, priests etc are reflecting the "Christ and his bride (the church)" ideology. They are bound to the church as Christ was/is, with the Church as their bride.

    I may be wrong, but that's what I had always assumed about why the Church felt they should remain celibate.

  4. #334
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    8,747
    Thanks
    2,851
    Thanked
    1,440
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Thanks Des,
    Regina came back with a great reply earlier re the point I was trying to make - [that may have been dragged on for too long. ]

    That 'yes' it may have been only teh middle east that got flooded and the people of teh middle east may have seen that as 'the world'.

    That acknoweldged my point.
    And makes more sense to 'me'.

    I did appreciate that.

    acknowledging that proposed 'maybe' obvioulsy hasn't diminished Regina's faith any.
    ..and wasn't what I was trying to do.
    It would be lovely if you could acknowledge that, from your perspective, *IF* there was a God and he really is all powerful that it *IS* possible that the flood effected the whole earth. Acknowledging this won't mess with your logic either Sorry I didn't come in earlier to say this as I've been sooooo busy this weekend so had limited time to contribute as much as I would like *sigh*

    I haven't totally dispelled, the notion that the flood covered the whole earth myself, but I figure it's more likely that the floods only effected that section of the globe but it's totally possible that my logic, as much as I think it's great, isn't as great as I think and that being as God is all powerful and he can do all things...therefore it is also possible that the flood effected the whole earth. Either way, it doesn't effect my faith any so I really don't care LOL



    Quote Originally Posted by Wonky Donkey View Post
    I'm interested to know what "speaking in tongues" entails, I've heard of it but never looked into it.

    I guess I could google but since we're on the subject!
    Just be careful if you run into stuff about tongues being 'essential' for salvation. This isn't what most christions believe, in fact it's probably only a very small percentage of christians who really believe this.

  5. #335
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Des - It does mess with my logic though.


    and I'll stop there.


    I apprecate people have 'faith' in 'something'. That's as much as I can give, sorry.


  6. #336
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    8,747
    Thanks
    2,851
    Thanked
    1,440
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Des - It does mess with my logic though.


    and I'll stop there.


    I apprecate people have 'faith' in 'something'. That's as much as I can give, sorry.

    All good But I'm actually really surprised, I thought that most people think about the 'what ifs' in life. What if there is such a thing as reincanation...why not? What if there are aliens? What then? What if there is a God? etc etc. I don't understand how it would necessarily mess with logic if you are so certain in your logic to play the what if game.

    But I accept that you think it would mess with your logic to contemplate these kind of things....just surprising that's all

  7. #337
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tenambit.
    Posts
    9,037
    Thanks
    1,564
    Thanked
    2,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    All good But I'm actually really surprised, I thought that most people think about the 'what ifs' in life. What if there is such a thing as reincanation...why not? What if there are aliens? What then? What if there is a God? etc etc. I don't understand how it would necessarily mess with logic if you are so certain in your logic to play the what if game.

    But I accept that you think it would mess with your logic to contemplate these kind of things....just surprising that's all
    I do think what if!!!

    Ofcourse I do LOL -- I wouldn't be in this thread, or starting threads about the afterlife or creation vs afterlife if I didn't think 'what if!?'

    I'm sure there are aliens - Aliens in the sense that there is life on a planet that is not ours -- I don't know what they'd look lke though... I think it would be beyond my comprehension.

    I can't accept the arc family re populationg teh WHOLE earth as we know it but I can accept that they might have been the Grandfathers of the Middle East

  8. #338
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    599
    Thanks
    362
    Thanked
    413
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Elijahs Mum - thanks for your (and your sisters!) perspective on Noah and the Hebrew texts. From what you have said, it does seem unlikely that the idea of the flood being a possiblitiy of 'part' of the world is a mistranslation from Hebrew - English.

    Deserema - thankyou for sharing about your past - I think it is absolutely amazing that you have come through that and still have faith in God. I find that many people find it difficult to separate 'God' and 'The church', and when we turn away from a damaging church, it is easy to turn away from God... I think it's great that you were able to turn away from your cult/ church and still maintain a relationship with God.

    Lily - that's really interesting hearing about the Orthodox (I think you said it was Greek Orthodox?) beliefs about women in the bible, and how that relates to women today. Thanks for sharing!

  9. #339
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    8,747
    Thanks
    2,851
    Thanked
    1,440
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I do think what if!!!

    Ofcourse I do LOL -- I wouldn't be in this thread, or starting threads about the afterlife or creation vs afterlife if I didn't think 'what if!?'

    I'm sure there are aliens - Aliens in the sense that there is life on a planet that is not ours -- I don't know what they'd look lke though... I think it would be beyond my comprehension.

    I can't accept the arc family re populationg teh WHOLE earth as we know it but I can accept that they might have been the Grandfathers of the Middle East
    Never asked you to. Just asked for you to play the 'what if' game for a moment and see it from the percpective of those who believe in God. Imagine if there was a God and all things really were possible ...then in turn imagine how God could do anything...then imagine the flood actually taking up the whole earth, and then you can at least have SOME idea of how some of us can believe this. That's all. Then you can go back to all the logic you want.

    But it's ok....I don't really care if you don't, just would be nice if you could play the what if game here...just for fun you know. Might make us feel a little less like you think we're just total whack jobs baaahaaahaaa

  10. #340
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    8,747
    Thanks
    2,851
    Thanked
    1,440
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Deserema - thankyou for sharing about your past - I think it is absolutely amazing that you have come through that and still have faith in God. I find that many people find it difficult to separate 'God' and 'The church', and when we turn away from a damaging church, it is easy to turn away from God... I think it's great that you were able to turn away from your cult/ church and still maintain a relationship with God.
    It's ironic, everytime any of us had an issue, problem of some sort and went to the oversight for answers they'd tell us that we're not reading enough, praying enough and needed more faith (They were relentless with this and made us feel invalidated and like there was something wrong with us and simply not good enough). This could have been the worse thing they could have preached LOL If they really wanted to control their congregation they could have easily have discouraged us from reading, and praying. But for them to push us into praying more, and reading more etc it ended up being a weapon against them, of sorts. I was always praying and reading....mainly because we made us (my parents too) but as soon as I really buckled down and put my faith in God as well as read and pray/meditate....the Holy Spirit showed me 'something' was wrong and got me out. He was the one who made it all happen.....I had no idea why I was leaving, only that I had to and that I was being spiritually oppressed by these people. Opening up and allowing God to minister to me was the best thing that could have happened. LOL


 

Similar Threads

  1. 'For the Bible tells me so' ~ Homosexuality.
    By FiveInTheBed in forum Religion / Spirituality
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 17:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Shapland Swim Schools
Shapland's at participating schools offer free baby orientation classes once a month - no cost no catches. Your baby will be introduced to our "natural effects" orientation program develop by Shapland's over 3 generations, its gentle and enjoyable.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Vibe Natural Health
Your natural health care team for fertility, pregnancy, post natal and family health care. Our Naturopaths, Doctors, Osteopaths, Acupuncturists, Psychologists,Nutritionists, Pilates, & Massage specialise in women & children's health and wellbeing.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!