+ Reply to Thread
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    People travelled and they spoke about what they knew. Living in one part of the world doesn't mean they didn't know there were other parts to the world??
    Because we have technology doesn't mean we are smarter. Ancient people invented what we take for granted today, they didn't use computers to design buildings, they invented geometry, they invented astronomy, they invented things that science wouldn't be possible with today had it not been for ancient civilisations.
    Its abit naive to think people today are smarter than they were back then.
    Through my studies in high school we were even taught in RE that the 'world' to ancient Israelites was Europe. They simply didn't have the technology in 4000 BC or there abouts to travel thousands of miles. Now admittedly science shows people from Africa immigrated out to europe and Asia, then to Australia. But 90% of that journey was by land, and it took thousands of years for this to happen.

Plus as my link describes, the other ancient races don't show a gap in development or culture in that time period. If there had been a worldwide flood that pretty much wiped the earth, there would be gaps and there isn't. Which is why I (and much research) believes the flood was contained to only a section of the middle east.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Through my studies in high school we were even taught in RE that the 'world' to ancient Israelites was Europe. They simply didn't have the technology in 4000 BC or there abouts to travel thousands of miles. Now admittedly science shows people from Africa immigrated out to europe and Asia, then to Australia. But 90% of that journey was by land, and it took thousands of years for this to happen.

Plus as my link describes, the other ancient races don't show a gap in development or culture in that time period. If there had been a worldwide flood that pretty much wiped the earth, there would be gaps and there isn't. Which is why I (and much research) believes the flood was contained to only a section of the middle east.
    This is logic Del.

And I agree with you and fully support what your research has found.

I think what some people get stuck on is that word -

>
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >>
    LOGIC.

..and you thought I was going to say "WORLD" didn't you!

Guest Guest

Does the bible give reference to 4000 B.C?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Does the bible give reference to 4000 B.C?
    No bc they used a different measurement of time by the jewish calendar. This is how historians now explain how moses and jacob lived until 150 years old... they didn't really but their calendar was something like 20 days or thereabouts? don't quote me on exact numbers but I know it much less so a year instead of 365 days was really around 200ish. which would make them about 90 when they died, which fits.

On top of that as you obviously know bc means before jesus so they wouldn't have a date before the saviour when the savior hadn't been born for roughly 4 millenium.

Guest Guest
    Oh ok. I asked because you were referencing a time and I'm not sure when Noahs Ark happened. So I can't really comment further. I know studies in anthropology are still developing, whether there are no gaps I don't know? Also, do we know where the concentration of people lived?
    It's hard to study something when we don't know the time period.
    But faith is all we need. lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Geologists and anthropologists have done geological surveys of the earth around the Dead Sea and other areas right around Israel. There are measures on how deep they dig and that time period so 5 metres might be 2000 years ago iywkim. They've found a sudden change in the composition on the earth (not the world but the ground) which showed a sudden and huge flood. They also found minute pieces of pottery which correlate to the same time period. This has not been found in other areas of the world in that time period.

Science clearly shows there was a flood just not all over the world but centralised.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (04-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No bc they used a different measurement of time by the jewish calendar. This is how historians now explain how moses and jacob lived until 150 years old... they didn't really but their calendar was something like 20 days or thereabouts? don't quote me on exact numbers but I know it much less so a year instead of 365 days was really around 200ish. which would make them about 90 when they died, which fits.

On top of that as you obviously know bc means before jesus so they wouldn't have a date before the saviour when the savior hadn't been born for roughly 4 millenium.
    Great post.

context, perspective.

I think I asked earlier (well I asked my MIL..but I put it out there in this thread) ..'How did a 500 year old man bulid the Ark'
    Seriously if had had a response with refernce to days in years like this - rather than 'who knows? -- he just was! you just need faith!"
    I can definitely say the conversation would have taken a different path.

I didn't know that about the calendars - thanks ..will look into it further on my own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Elijahs' Mum - I'd be interested to hear your perspective on Noah's ark and the definition of 'the whole world' as regarded from the Hebrew/ Jewish texts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had to work today and I've just starting catching up! (will come back after dinner and will call my sister who speaks hebrew!) keep it nice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've finally made it back on line to reply to FITB's question, and I can see that it's been a busy day in this section .

Maria & Regina have already said what I wanted to say, so I think I'll just leave it at that. If there is anything else specific you wanted to ask though, let me know.