+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ..does it say 'Earth' or 'World' in the Bible.

Remember these are OUR words

translated from an OLD civilisation.

And this is the problem in translating 'literally'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the floodwaters stopped at the edge of that map and didn't go any further.

hellooooo logic!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

SarahTamar  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ..does it say 'Earth' or 'World' in the Bible.

Remember these are OUR words

translated from an OLD civilisation.

And this is the problem in translating 'literally'
    Interesting you mentioned that. I just checked and they use the word earth instead of world.

From Genesis 6:

For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. 18 The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19 They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.[a][b] 21 Every living thing that moved on land perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22 Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.

If all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered (v.19) how can you say that it only meant the small sliver of the world seen on the map?

Thanks
    Reviews

hellooooo logic!
    yeah...it doesn't sound very logical they stopped at the edge of the map!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting you mentioned that. I just checked and they use the word earth instead of world.

From Genesis 6:

For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. 18 The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. 19 They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. 20 The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.[a][b] 21 Every living thing that moved on land perished—birds, livestock, wild animals, all the creatures that swarm over the earth, and all mankind. 22 Everything on dry land that had the breath of life in its nostrils died. 23 Every living thing on the face of the earth was wiped out; people and animals and the creatures that move along the ground and the birds were wiped from the earth. Only Noah was left, and those with him in the ark.

If all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered (v.19) how can you say that it only meant the small sliver of the world seen on the map?
    And who translated that passage?? do they know they meant Earth as in 'planet Earth' ..because earth wasn't given THAT name until the 1900's.
    Or did they mean Earth as in the ground..you now how you 'dig the earth in your garden'
    If I dig a hole in my garden it doesn't affect the whole planet.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It is absolutely impossible that the flood covered the whole world. There is not enough water on Earth or in the atmosphere to have created a flood of such enormity.

So - where did the water come from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    It is absolutely impossible that the flood covered the whole world. There is not enough water on Earth or in the atmosphere to have created a flood of such enormity.

It came from God.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And who translated that passage?? do they know they meant Earth as in 'planet Earth' ..because earth wasn't given THAT name until the 1900's.
    Or did they mean Earth as in the ground..you now how you 'dig the earth in your garden'
    If I dig a hole in my garden it doesn't affect the whole planet.
    I wasn't talking about earth, but about "all the high mountains under the heavens being covered". How do you explain that to mean just a small part of the Middle East?
    Last edited by TheMadHatter; 03-03-2012 at 13:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

Good article here that explains it much better then I could (hopefully they let me link it here)

http://creation.com/where-did-all-the-water-come-from

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wasn't talking about earth, but about "all the high mountains under the heavens being covered". How do you explain that to mean just a small part of the Middle East?
    ...there are lots of Mountains in the Middle East above them is the sky which some people call 'the heavens'.

and if you are talking about 'ALL the mountains in the WORLD' <-- 'World' being that section pictured in the map ..and NOT the 'world' as WE know it today, then you get a flood that happened in the middle east. easy. which I'd gladly accept - because there is PROOF of floods throughout the world and history books.

Exaggeration is a GREAT part of story telling too

..again -- If I say, "my whole world fell apart!!" ..does that affect you? does that mean the Earth literally crumbled!?? ..because I AM talking about the 'whole world!'
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 03-03-2012 at 14:20.