+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So my post wad deleted and I don't know why but just want to say thankyou lily, just want to be, des, elijahs mum, ourblessed, for the great discussion at the beginning... Don't regret how you answered, you did a great job under much pressure. I'm on my phone now but will pm to be in touch when I'm on my computer, perhaps we may be allowed to start a private area for religion to be discussed with respect?

Anyway just wanted to say a great big thanks, I really enjoyed hearing your views and the respect with which we discussed our differences.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 03-03-2012 at 01:07.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    It's a classic Buffy line - and yes very immature on my part. I apologise sincerely.
    Ah....ok, I can't say I ever watched any Buffy! So completely missed the reference. Would have probably laughed if I had known it!

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post

Also you have to remember that the laws of Moses were given to an enslaved Jewish population, most who never knew a normal family life , were treated very in humanely and watched a harsh and some say immoral race of captors , so the laws seemed quite strict and penalties quite tough to make sure their new lives stayed pure( if that makes any sense!)
    I've heard that before. Also that God wanted to set them apart from the tribes in the land they were going to enter- who were into false idols, child sacrifice, & all sorts of other nasties- hence the rules to set them apart & stop them becoming like the other tribes.

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks elijahs mum, that does make sense
    I find that I use the new.testament when I'm looking at the old testament to help me understand what it is saying, and its relevance for my life, etc. Its great to hear your perspective as someone who uses the Hebrew texts without the new.testament, and your interpretation of what the scriptures mean.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I thinks that's why it's hard for some people to "get it" they just read a few versus and think G-d is a horrible person without realizing how bad those times were, he was trying to protect them

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (03-03-2012),ShanandBoc  (09-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I thinks that's why it's hard for some people to "get it" they just read a few versus and think G-d is a horrible person without realizing how bad those times were, he was trying to protect them
    Completely agree!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

Cinderella82  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree- its so imprtant to understand context.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    I agree- its so imprtant to understand context.
    So new testament vs old testament?
    Catholicism vs Christians vs Church of Christ vs Baptists?
    Which is the truth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Which is the truth?
    I actually would love to hear different Christian perspectives on this one!
    I'll be honest, I find Catholicism the hardest to understand , granted I don't know a lot about it but when I visited the Vatican my very first thought was Jesus would be mortified if he saw this , plus the whole Saint thing and Mary ( being so high up in the church) can someone explain those please!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Which is the truth?
    New & Old testaments are both 100% true.

Different denominations- there are thousands of these. all that I know of believe the same core elements (man is sinful and has a broken relationship with God, Jesus died for our sins and rose again after 3 days, and through a relationship with him we can become right with God again) but differ in the finer details which aren't essential to the faith. Eg. Baptists put an emphasis on baptism, Pentecostals an emphasis on tongues & baptism of the Holy Spirit.

These finer details honestly don't matter - although we might make it sound like they do sometimes! But in the grand scheme of things it's not crucial that everyone agrees on them anyway. What matters most is believing the core elements- any denomination whose beliefs differ from the core elements is one I would not be attending!

I don't know much about Catholics but it seems like they like a lot of structure & ritual- and they have some things not found in other denominations, like purgatory, rosary beads, a big emphasis on saints & confession- would be interesting hearing from a practicing Catholic if there's one around who doesn't mind sharing