+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    There is mention of her. Hebrew Mythology existed before the bible - the Bible is made up of stories from certain Mythologies. It is relevant.

[text deleted by moderator]
    Sorry, unless it is in the bible it isn't actually relevant. Maybe start a new thread about mythologies and how they interweave into modern religion?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    So, on topic, what do people think about the gnostic gospels?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (03-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    Sorry, unless it is in the bible it isn't actually relevant. Maybe start a new thread about mythologies and how they interweave into modern religion?
    it is relevant - she is mentioned in the Bible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There is mention of her. Hebrew Mythology existed before the bible - the Bible is made up of stories from certain Mythologies. It is relevant.

[text deleted by moderator]
    Where is she mentioned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    Bump... So if there was never an Adam and Eve, and hence no original sin, how do Christians interpret the 'He died for our sins' view?
    I guess I can't answer this the way you want because I do believe in the Adam and Eve as described in the bible.

But as far as how I see Jesus as a sacrifice dying for my sins, I sinned yesterday, today and I probably will tomorrow as well. I believe that Jesus died as te perfect sacrifice for my sins, ad for the sins of the world around me. He died as a perfect lamb, unblemished.

The blood shed by bulls and goats under Moses delayed God's wrath against sin (Hebrews 9:6-10). An animal's blood had to be endlessly and repeatedly shed because it couldn't once for all remove sin (Hebrews 10:1-4, 11). Their blood could cleanse the instruments and symbols of forgiveness, but only human blood could cleanse human beings (Hebrews 9:18-23).

Christ, however, singly, solely, by himself alone had sufficient worth to die in place of every mortal in history. Everything prior to Him was preparatory to His perfect sacrifice. This is true by virtue of:

His acceptance of suffering to be made perfect (Hebrews 2:10, 5:8-9).
    His personal superiority to Moses (Hebrews 3:1-6).
    His ability to provide an eternal Sabbath rest for God's people (Hebrews 4:9). God's call of Him as a priest in the order of Melchizedek (Hebrews 5:1-6, 7:1-22).
    His establishment of an eternal priesthood (Hebrews 7:23-28).
    His presence at God's right hand as eternal priest, after offering a perfect sacrifice (Hebrews 1:3, 8:1-2)
    His superiority to the Aaronic priesthood of animal sacrifices (Hebrews 8:3-13).
    His once-for-all-perfect sacrifice for sins (Hebrews 9:25-10:4).
    His willingness to be the sacrifice, not merely to offer one (Hebrews 10:1-10).
    Jesus was a sacrifice because only His blood could roll backwards to the first sinner and forward to the last. Whatever temporary measure God used before Christ in history to secure forgiveness, He alone was eternally slain in God's mind as the perfect sacrifice for sin. That's why death exalted Jesus from being a mortal Jew, to being the universal Lord.

Jesus was a sacrifice because - when God tore the veil in two from top to bottom when Jesus died - it meant that Christ's death opened an unobstructed way to God (Matthew 27:51). Before, only the high priest could enter the Holy of Holies (only once a year), and never without blood to cover his personal and national sins. Hebrews 9:7 says, "But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    maybe I should rephrase - there is reference to her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it is relevant - she is mentioned in the Bible.
    So to get people up to speed ...

Lilith (Hebrew: לילית‎; lilit, or lilith) is a character in Jewish mythology, developed earliest in the Babylonian Talmud, who is generally thought to be related to a class of female demons Līlīṯu in Mesopotamian texts. However, Lowell K. Handy (1997) notes, "Very little information has been found relating to the Akkadian and Babylonian view of these demons. Two sources of information previously used to define Lilith are both suspect."[1] The two problematic sources are the Gilgamesh appendix and the Arslan Tash amulets, which are discussed below.

The term Lilith occurs in Isaiah 34:14, either singular or plural according to variations in the earliest manuscripts, though in a list of animals. In the Dead Sea Scrolls Songs of the Sage the term first occurs in a list of monsters. In Jewish magical inscriptions, on bowls and amulets from the 6th century CE onwards, Lilith is identified as a female demon and the first visual depictions appear.

In Jewish folklore, from the 8th–10th centuries Alphabet of Ben Sira onwards, Lilith becomes Adam's first wife, who was created at the same time and from the same earth as Adam. This contrasts with Eve, who was created from one of Adam's ribs. The legend was greatly developed during the Middle Ages, in the tradition of Aggadic midrashim, the Zohar and Jewish mysticism. In the 13th Century writings of Rabbi Isaac ben Jacob ha-Cohen, for example, Lilith left Adam after she refused to become subservient to him and then would not return to the Garden of Eden after she mated with archangel Samael. The resulting Lilith legend is still commonly used as source material in modern Western culture, literature, occultism, fantasy, and horror.

Not sure what what point you are making? I don't know Anything about the character and the one verse that mentions the word is talking about animals??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    So, on topic, what do people think about the gnostic gospels?
    Sorry I have little knowledge about the gnostic gospels so can't comment, maybe someone else is able to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have heard of Lilith before. I think that If she was Adams first wife she would have been mentioned numerous times in the bible. She wasn't so that is where it ends for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not trying to make a point.

I was interested to see what people's thoughts on this charater was?
    ..and why she may have been left out of the Bible?

Her story sees her refuse to lie under Adam (she was his first wife made from the same dirt) ..she refused to be submissive to him.

somethng about a curse of dying children.

and then Adam got presented with Eve, made from his rib. The there loads of talk about the different between flesh and dirt.

It's fascinating!

And bemused that becasue it's 'not in the bible' that you don't want to discuss it.
    It's all part of the intertwining history