+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I hate it when people fght in these threads. I can perfectly understand why an athiest would have difficulty understanding many of the concepts believed by Christians....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If I hassle to join a different forum for every different kind of conversation I wanted I have I'd be part of a hundred forums!

I kind of thought that a) us being all being adults, b) it being posted in the religion file and c) it being titles "translations of the bible" would kind of let people know it wasn't a thread for degrading Christians.... But okie dokie!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lilith to a Jew is like Zeus to a Christian, ( as in a mythical creature ) she was a mythological character made up
    In medieval times as part of an anti Jewish movement , there are no mentions of Lilith in the Hebrew texts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    This is what it feels like to be a Christian wanting to have a gentle debate about translation with other interested people: "that impossible, why do you believe that? Does faith make impossible things happen? How ridiculous! Do you want to kill people who sin? "apparently" blah blah happened, that doesn't make sense, the deity you believe in is a murderer"
    Yes, and then you get people saying things like sunnyflower has said above: atheists don't understand, or you mustn't have read the bible, you don't understand the bible...which brings us back to the OP's question about translation!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

trishalishous  (02-03-2012),Witwicky  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    outdated...

Hmmm - now there is an interesting term.

What is everyones take on Lilith?

(I mentioned her a few pages back)

SHe was present in Hebrew mythology but didn't actually make it to the bible...
    Why do you think there is not much talk of her?
    I'm not familiar with the character... Seeing as this is a thread about the bible.... And she's not in it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahTamar View Post
    I've been reading this discussion and it is really interesting. Who knew all these translations were so changed around.

I guess, from my understanding of internet forums, if you wanted a discussion with only other Christians I guess a Christian religion forum would be the best for that.
    This is the religious forum on bub hub...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not familiar with the character... Seeing as this is a thread about the bible.... And she's not in it??
    She's in the gnostic gospels - first wife of Adam who refused to lay under him and was then cast out.

I'm a once was practicing catholic who is now an atheist, been an interesting discussion!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (02-03-2012),FiveInTheBed  (02-03-2012)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    This is the first and only warning this thread will get.

This thread is to discuss the bible and various translations. It not NOT to dissect people or their ideas. It is not to snark or demean or be in any way derogatory towards someone who sees things differently to you.

Remember that this is peoples systems of belief, deeply ingrained and a part of who they are. If you want to ask questions on WHY they believe, be respectful about it.

thank you

ETA - I will be editing any post after this one which contains any personal arguments. I am not cleaning the thread, but please do not respond to the personal stuff. Cheers
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 02-03-2012 at 22:44.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
    Nevermind all this talk of the Ark, modern genetics has proven that homo sapiens never went through a bottleneck of less than a few thousand. I can't remember the exact number, but it wasn't even close to 2.

And therefore the Adam and Eve story has been proven to be just that. A story. But if Adam and Eve never existed, original sin doesn't exist. And that takes away one of the central reasons for Christ's appearance on Earth (as Saviour/Redeemer).

I'm interested to hear how Christians view this. Is the concept of original sin important to them, or could it be dispensed with?
    Bump... So if there was never an Adam and Eve, and hence no original sin, how do Christians interpret the 'He died for our sins' view?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is mention of her. Hebrew Mythology existed before the bible - the Bible is made up of stories from certain Mythologies. It is relevant.

[text deleted by moderator]
    Last edited by BH-KatiesMum; 02-03-2012 at 22:43. Reason: personal/off topic