+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Which part are you asking why to?

3 couples is just not enough people to repopulate the world!
    We did a paper at uni and I think there needed to be 15 couples, with a strict breeding program, to prevent serious genetic mutations in a human population. other species seem to manage incest better (on a genetic level) than humans.
    the '7 daughters of Eve' is a great read if you are into genetics

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (02-03-2012),SarahTamar  (02-03-2012),Witwicky  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    Yep, lots of killing everywhere in the world. I'm wondering where exactly the murders she is referring to are?

I mean, seeing as random people with different agendas have hijacked this thread anyway, let's talk about killing. Do you support the Australian defense force?
    Well since you asked, not really.

It's interesting, though, a thread the other day asking why bad things happen to good people and being told that god doesn't have control like that, yet he seemed to have a lot of control over a lot of things in the old testament and didn't think twice about using it!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I guess I just assumed if you had taken the time and effort to read the entire book that you would be a considerate kind of person who didn't mock the beliefs of others?

This is what it feels like having a discussion with believers on this forum:

Witwicky: "Hi, my name is Witwicky and i'm an atheist. Can you please explain xyz".
    Those who believe in God: "Ahhhhhh stop offending me! Stop asking me to discuss parts of the bible in the thread which was created for the sole purpose of discussing the bible!! Ahhhh you're offending me! You're so inconsiderate! I shouldn't have to explain myself!"

It's not really a discussion when the original people have asked you to leave and you're offending people
    Sorry, must have missed the part where I was asked to leave.

Can you give the verses so we can all look at them in context?
    Sure, i'll look them up. I don't know them off by heart.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course adultery is still a sin, and death is still the penalty - of there is no reference or asking of forgiveness. The death will just come as a different form, not stoning.
    Do you beleive people should be killed for sleeping outside of there marital bed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well since you asked, not really.

It's interesting, though, a thread the other day asking why bad things happen to good people and being told that god doesn't have control like that, yet he seemed to have a lot of control over a lot of things in the old testament and didn't think twice about using it!
    I guess that's just different opinions. I said in that thread that I did believe God has control over everything, even if He doesn't always intervene.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Do you beleive people should be killed for sleeping outside of there marital bed?
    If God says it is the consequence, yep. It won't happen now, and it won't happen to those who God has accepted the repentance of. Im not taking 'vengeance' myself. It's just what will happen. They won't have eternal life if God doesn't see that they are fit. I don't understand what is so shocking about that? If you believe in the bible you need to understand God isn't saying that stuff for a joke.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Didn't convicts come to this country and exiled from their families for such trivial crimes as stealing bread etc ( this was what 250 years ago) wasn't the civil rights movement only bringing equality to people of color in America only 50 odd years ago, wasn't homosexuality a crime in Tasmania up until 1997! Yes times have changed so laws written over 3000 years ago may be a tad outdated which is why they are not used anymore ( some cultures or extremist groups obviously still do practice them but not the main ****** religions)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

This is what it feels like having a discussion with believers on this forum:

Witwicky: "Hi, my name is Witwicky and i'm an atheist. Can you please explain xyz".
    Those who believe in God: "Ahhhhhh stop offending me! Stop asking me to discuss parts of the bible in the thread which was created for the sole purpose of discussing the bible!! Ahhhh you're offending me! You're so inconsiderate! I shouldn't have to explain myself!"

Sorry, must have missed the part where I was asked to leave.

Sure, i'll look them up. I don't know them off by heart.
    This is what it feels like to be a Christian wanting to have a gentle debate about translation with other interested people: "that impossible, why do you believe that? Does faith make impossible things happen? How ridiculous! Do you want to kill people who sin? "apparently" blah blah happened, that doesn't make sense, the deity you believe in is a murderer"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Didn't convicts come to this country and exiled from their families for such trivial crimes as stealing bread etc ( this was what 250 years ago) wasn't the civil rights movement only bringing equality to people of color in America only 50 odd years ago, wasn't homosexuality a crime in Tasmania up until 1997! Yes times have changed so laws written over 3000 years ago may be a tad outdated which is why they are not used anymore ( some cultures or extremist groups obviously still do practice them but not the main ****** religions)
    outdated...

Hmmm - now there is an interesting term.

What is everyones take on Lilith?

(I mentioned her a few pages back)

SHe was present in Hebrew mythology but didn't actually make it to the bible...
    Why do you think there is not much talk of her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been reading this discussion and it is really interesting. Who knew all these translations were so changed around.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I was asking the OP if this was intended to be a discussion for Christians, which I really thought it was until I saw people laughing.at what people believe and saying it is totally unbelieveable.
    I guess, from my understanding of internet forums, if you wanted a discussion with only other Christians I guess a Christian religion forum would be the best for that.