+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    I have one

I'm sure there are many 'versions' of it - but it goes something like this,

"If there is a man who commits adultery with another man's wife, one who commits adultery with his friend's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."
    Yes. This was part of the law of Israel. If you understood how the old and new testament fit together you would know that these laws were created to show the people of Israel that they couldn't follow a law, that the law would never save them. Jesus came in the New Testament to show the people that their deeds would never save them, only the grave of God could.

You'll find lots of laws in the law of Israel that don't make sense. Some of that will be cultural - you have never experienced living in that culture so you will have no context. The other reason is that you don't understand how it all fits together - that God actually designed the law to be like that so that they would accept the savior when he finally came.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Interesting read. Just one question though, was this intended to be a thread for people to share their interpretation or as another thread for people to tell us religion is wrong?
    It's called a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    Again, it's hard to explain random things to people who haven't read the bible in its entirety and understand all the concepts, but what murders are you talking about exactly? If its a passage that involves delving I to the interpretation/ translation I'd be happy to look at it with you.
    I'm really interested to know why you think I haven't read it?

Off the top of my head - the death of firstborns in Egypt (Exodus); killing people who don't believe (in Deuteronomy); drowning the entire world (Genesis); God helping the Israelites destroy Jericho (Joshua); Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis)...and many, many, MANY more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Revival Centres International - now called something else similar
    Oh I haven't heard of them but cults are not christianity in action. There is nothing Christlike about being controlled or isolated from your family etc. I am sorry that you had such a horrible experience..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was asking the OP if this was intended to be a discussion for Christians, which I really thought it was until I saw people laughing.at what people believe and saying it is totally unbelieveable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

Off the top of my head - the death of firstborns in Egypt (Exodus); killing people who don't believe (in Deuteronomy); drowning the entire world (Genesis); God helping the Israelites destroy Jericho (Joshua); Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis)...and many, many, MANY more.
    Can you give the verses so we can all look at them in context?

Thanks
    Reviews

It's not really a discussion when the original people have asked you to leave and you're offending people

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have one

I'm sure there are many 'versions' of it - but it goes something like this,

"If there is a man who commits adultery with another man's wife, one who commits adultery with his friend's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death."
    Ancient Jewish law was more principal than practice , the numerous mentions of the death penalty in the hebrew bible outline the severity of the sin rather than the expectation of death , the standards of proof of these kind of crimes ( disobeying the 613 commandments) were so strict from memory there were only 3 cases documented in the Hebrew bible

Thanks
    Reviews

I guess I just assumed if you had taken the time and effort to read the entire book that you would be a considerate kind of person who didn't mock the beliefs of others?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    Yes. This was part of the law of Israel. If you understood how the old and new testament fit together you would know that these laws were created to show the people of Israel that they couldn't follow a law, that the law would never save them. Jesus came in the New Testament to show the people that their deeds would never save them, only the grave of God could.

You'll find lots of laws in the law of Israel that don't make sense. Some of that will be cultural - you have never experienced living in that culture so you will have no context. The other reason is that you don't understand how it all fits together - that God actually designed the law to be like that so that they would accept the savior when he finally came.
    God designed the law like that? - so he (God) made a law that people sleeping with another's spouse would then being killed for doing so...and he set it up like that so that Jesus could come and say nah - it's really like that?

Sorry - run that past me again?

Do people still believe adultery is a sin?

Obviously in this country people aren't stoned to death for sleeping outdside of their marriage (because we have realised that is kinda more wrong) ...but people in other countries that have a similar version of this 'law' (commandment) still in THIS modern age are being killed for adultery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    God designed the law like that? - so he (God) made a law that people sleeping with another's spouse would then being killed for doing so...and he set it up like that so that Jesus could come and say nah - it's really like that?

Sorry - run that past me again?

Do people still believe adultery is a sin?

Obviously in this country people aren't stoned to death for sleeping outdside of their marriage (because we have realised that is kinda more wrong) ...but people in other countries that have a similar version of this 'law' (commandment) still in THIS modern age are being killed for adultery.
    Of course adultery is still a sin, and death is still the penalty - of there is no reference or asking of forgiveness. The death will just come as a different form, not stoning.