+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I find it interesting that the believers in these types of threads always carry on when they start getting questioned. You all complain about the thead turning sour and that people are rude. I think people are being quite civil in this thread If you can't answer the questions, or if you feel as though people are being rude, then leave? Asking questions isn't an attack.

Anyway...I don't understand how people can genuinely believe the stories in the bible (soooo far fetched and scientifically impossible) OR follow it (it's riddled with atrocities against other humans).

Talking to someone behind a curtain? I know EXACTLY what you mean
    Why are you saying that to me with a wink?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    http://ldolphin.org/ntable.html

Just found this link ( hope it works!) mentions all of Noah's descendants
    That link has a map if you scroll down Titled ' The World as known to the Hebrews'.

So if I was to argue FOR Noah repopulating the 'World' - I would assume... they meant only 'this little bit'
    So there ya go -- translations comes into it again. What we know as the world now - isn't the world as they knew it then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow this is really interesting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I know it's not what you said, but faith in God helps people more than science.
    ...hold up.

I'm not going to debate this point, as think we were getting back on track about translations...
    BUt - just think about what you said there - and consider how disrespectful that might sound to someone who enjoys science. Who has had the lives of people in their family saved thanks to science. Who take absolute pleasure in explorng everything the natural world has to offer.

..okay - but to translations.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 02-03-2012 at 21:10.

Guest Guest
    And people are asking questions they KNOW they won't get an answer for because if they'd accept one they'd already know it.
    So answering the questions to someone who isn't really wanting the answer or rarher knowing they wont get it, is frustrating.
    It makes me question their motive for coming in and asking in the first place. Yes it can be condescending and rude to have to defend ones beliefs, especially to people who don't accept them.
    Then we're told we can't handle being questioned, I mean are you serious??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ...hold up.

I'm not going to debate this point, as think we were getting back on track about translations...
    BUt - just think about what you said there - and consider how disrespectful that might sound to someone who enjoys science. Who has had the lives of people in their family saved thanks to science. Who take absolute pleasure in explorng everything the batural world has to offer.

..okay - but to translations.
    FOR the people who believe in God...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think science has saved a lot more lives and killed less people than god!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (02-03-2012),MummyHas3boys  (02-03-2012),trishalishous  (02-03-2012),Witwicky  (02-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think science has saved a lot more lives and killed less people than god!
    People who believe in God wouldn't say that.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And people are asking questions they KNOW they won't get an answer for because if they'd accept one they'd already know it.
    So answering the questions to someone who isn't really wanting the answer or rarher knowing they wont get it, is frustrating.
    It makes me question their motive for coming in and asking in the first place. Yes it can be condescending and rude to have to defend ones beliefs, especially to people who don't accept them.
    Then we're told we can't handle being questioned, I mean are you serious??
    I stated my reasons earlier. (back there a bit if you wanna have a look)

I'm not asking you to defend your beliefs - i'm asking you to talk to me about them, tell me what you know and understand.

This thread was a spin off was it not?

I actually read the thread it 'spun off' from - but didn't get a chance to comment before it got closed.

When people ask my about my beliefs I am MORE than happy to talk to them about it... I don't feel a need to 'defend' them. ..I just talk about them.

Disecting a belief system isn't something new - people have done it for centuries... Individuals either come out of a conversation with a greater understanding of where their belief came from; strengthening it for them. Or they come away thinking about thing sa little differently...

(oh - and plus, The kids are watching movies with their Dad [late Friday night treat for them...I should be reading the books I have dog eared on my bedside - but I find this type of conversation intriguing)

Thanks
    Reviews
    FOR the people who believe in God...
    what are you refering to here?