+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The bible only lists the fathers , not mothers, the 3 sons may have had many daughters but back in the day they only listed the men! ( as in Jesus, the son of Joseph , I think his genealogy is listed in one of the gospels - cant remember which one! help me Christians!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (02-03-2012)

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You don't know anybody's background or what their faith has been. I was raised a catholic, went to catholic school. I'm not ignorant. I have friends who are all from different religious backgrounds, including Christian, Islamic, Hindu.

I've travelled a lot and find places of worship/shrines etc. Fascinating.
    Then why don't you discuss with us what you know or have learnt? And not ask questions you know people can't answer? People are giving you answers as they know them which you know you don't accept, so why keep asking?

[QUOTE=FiveInTheBed;6415174]
    Quote Originally Posted by BabushkaMumma View Post

To be honest and not to sound condescending - I think faith is a hard concept to understand if you don't have it.

QUOTE]

How would you explain to those Ancient Egyptians I have mentioned a few times...(if you had the chance)... that the sun is not infact pushed across the sky each night by a God who takes the form of a dung beetle?

...or would you be happy to just accept that is what they beleive? That that is their 'faith'?
    Yes I would be happy to accept its their faith, it's how they lived and what helped them in their lives. It never hurt them or anyone else.
    People do and believe alot of things, searching for scientific proof of everything will not make everyone happier people and to live more peaceful lives. Science isn't the answer to peace unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://ldolphin.org/ntable.html

Just found this link ( hope it works!) mentions all of Noah's descendants

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ...yes - but did those wives produce only sons or daughters aswell?

I'm not talking about you as a woman today. I'm talking about the treatment of women throughout the Bible.

Because it is a major part of this country and this culture.
    My kids are being told stories from it.

And I am genuinely interested to see how and why people translate things the way they do -- becasue I live side by side these people. And many decisions made in my life time will be based on teachings from this book of books.
    I assume they had sons and daughter and they possibly had children with their cousins like many people still do

Or maybe God produced another group of people and didn't tell us about them, or maybe he just created Noah's family to have many more children than what was usual. It doesn't make a difference!!!

Maybe a unicorn pointed his magical horn at a sunflower and it sprouted little babies out of all of its seeds. Who are we to say what could or could t have happened?? We weren't there! None of us can ever know!

The point is it doesn't make a difference to our faith!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Justwant2beamummy For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well what I know is that 3 couples cannot repopulate the world.

I prefer logic.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SarahTamar  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    [QUOTE=Lily of the Nile;6415218]

Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

Yes I would be happy to accept its their faith, it's how they lived and what helped them in their lives. It never hurt them or anyone else.
    People do and believe alot of things, searching for scientific proof of everything will not make everyone happier people and to live more peaceful lives. Science isn't the answer to peace unfortunately.
    ...who said science was trying to be the answer to peace?

Science is just showing us what is real.

There are numerous scientists that have 'faith' - they just don't take all of the stories in teh bible 'literally' ...which is where this discussion sprang from - literal translations or metaphorical translations.

And you've kind of answered what I was asking aaaages ago -- do people use the Bible and all their belief in it to help them in their life?... do they look to it for a moral compass? (not knowing if things that happened in it ACTUALLY happened or not) ...even knowing that some of the stories in it sound just as plausible as the dung beetle myth. They are just happy to stick with it because it makes them happy? and they should have respect for doing so?

I don't know? sorry - that's what I got out of your post.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Justwant2beamummy View Post
    I assume they had sons and daughter and they possibly had children with their cousins like many people still do

Or maybe God produced another group of people and didn't tell us about them, or maybe he just created Noah's family to have many more children than what was usual. It doesn't make a difference!!!

Maybe a unicorn pointed his magical horn at a sunflower and it sprouted little babies out of all of its seeds. Who are we to say what could or could t have happened?? We weren't there! None of us can ever know!

The point is it doesn't make a difference to our faith!
    OR... maybe primative man evolved over hundreds of thousands of years?

Maybe?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it interesting that the believers in these types of threads always carry on when they start getting questioned. You all complain about the thead turning sour and that people are rude. I think people are being quite civil in this thread If you can't answer the questions, or if you feel as though people are being rude, then leave? Asking questions isn't an attack.

Anyway...I don't understand how people can genuinely believe the stories in the bible (soooo far fetched and scientifically impossible) OR follow it (it's riddled with atrocities against other humans).

Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    Faith and religion take years and years or reading about, talking about, questioning and finding different answers from many sources.
    I was born within a certain faith, and as a child I talked to God every night, I believed in something I knew nothing about. My patents aren't religious and never took me church every Sunday or talked to me about God.
    I read the bible in primary school, then went to a catholic high school and read it again and talked alot to my teachers in re.
    At 19 I travelled to alot of monasteries o/s (orthodox) and again questioned and received answers.
    I'm 33 yrs old and I've done alot of reading, searching, talking to God and listening to other peoples ideas and views.
    To try and explain what I've learnt and why I believe certain things is impossible, especially impossible to people who dont know what faith is or are open to the discussion. It's a very interesting topic and I love talking about religion, but only to people who are open and have had the life journey with religion whatever that may be. I love hearing about Judaism and I have alot of Muslim friends and family and it's good having discussions, the beliefs are not all the same, the traditions or symbols. But the common faith in God and 1st testament is.
    Sorry to be a bum, I just find it hard talking to people and explaining my views if they aren't in a place of faith that I am cause then it's like talking to someone behind a curtain (if that makes sense)
    Talking to someone behind a curtain? I know EXACTLY what you mean

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. People should have the right to have beliefs respected.

You just don't have to like or respect that particular belief. Make sense?

I respect your right to believe in evolution. I don't have to like evolution though. I should have my right to my particular faith respected - but I understand not everyone will like it.

Guest Guest
    [QUOTE=FiveInTheBed;6415259]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post

...who said science was trying to be the answer to peace?

Science is just showing us what is real.

There are numerous scientists that have 'faith' - they just don't take all of the stories in teh bible 'literally' ...which is where this discussion sprang from - literal translations or metaphorical translations.

And you've kind of answered what I was asking aaaages ago -- do people use the Bible and all their belief in it to help them in their life?... do they look to it for a moral compass? (not knowing if things that happened in it ACTUALLY happened or not) ...even knowing that some of the stories in it sound just as plausible as the dung beetle myth. They are just happy to stick with it because it makes them happy? and they should have respect for doing so?

I don't know? sorry - that's what I got out of your post.
    Yes they do, ofcourse they do.
    And yes some believe in literal translations, some don't. I mean we have so many religions and differences in translations and today we are alot more open, there are people who don't associate themselves with any religion but still believe in God and the bible to help them in their lives. Its all called faith and yes it helps people live their life, it's why science won't give you peace, I know it's not what you said, but faith in God helps people more than science.