+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    it seems to me just another appliance that will be used for a few months then put away next to the breadmaker, piemaker, popcorn maker......
    Nooooo. I have had my thermomix since November 2010 and I still use it MULTIPLE times a day. I do alomst every dinner in it plus make all kids snacks, sauces, etc etc from scratch. It is the best money I've ever spent.

I know someone who had a thermochef then got a thermomix, she said it is a million times better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    i've seen them and personally i don't understand the hype.

a knife can cut/chop. a blender can blend, mill, make salad dressings. your oven/stovetop can cook.

it seems to me just another appliance that will be used for a few months then put away next to the breadmaker, piemaker, popcorn maker......
    I don't own one yet and haven't even seen a demo but I do want one! I suppose you could liken it to a microwave in the sense that you could heat your hot chocolate over a saucepan and wait 5 minutes for it to heat up, then watch it carefully so it doesn't burn, keep stirring it etc. or you could pop it in the microwave for two minutes and it's done, perfect and only used the cup to make it in

From what I have heard, the thermomix is similar in that sense - time saving etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Can I just ask a question to the thermo lovers - I am sort of considering a mix. Kind of. Maybe.

BUT - we cook from scratch anyway, bake, make muesli bars, dips etc and have no issues with it but it would be nice to save time.

My worry is, and this may sound silly but it's important to me - do any of you rely on it so much that you lose your already gained cooking skills?

I can just see myself loving it and never picking up another cooking utensil again lol, but I like having cooking skills. The thermo sort of sounds like you just shove everything in and let it do the work. Sounds freaking fantastic, but I can see it making me, personally, pretty lazy LOL.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Benji - I can't really comment as my cooking skills were never that great to start with but there are some things where I prefer my "traditional" way even though there is a thermomix option. If I have time I do it my way, if I'm pressed for time I will do it with the thermomix.

Quite often I will use the thermomix to do some of the mundane stuff but do the majority as I would have before - like for lasagne I use the thermomix to chop the vegies and make the bechamel sauce, but I make the meat sauce on the stove like I normally would.

Also I don't let DD near it, so if I cook or bake with her, we do it the "traditional" way..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Benji  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hmm thanks, food for thought. I think I want one. It would be nice to have it do the boring parts of the cooking.

Is there ANY way to buy one without having a consultant coming over? I have zero time and have only just stopped being harassed by Enjo!

Has anyone purchased one from Ebay? And how did you convince your other half/bank account to come up with the arm and leg that they charge?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was thinking about those things last night Benji. I have decided that when I have time and my kids are older I'll get them to follow standard recipes and cook for us...however I think for me, it's like riding a bike. I'm not going to forget how to read a recipe, measure things out and create a whole heap of mess in the process.

I'd have the Demo. They aren't going to harass you, once you've bought one, you've bought one. There's nothing else they can sell (unlike Enjo, Tupperware etc. where there's a huge range of products) but the ongoing support that is there if you need it will be handy. I know my consultant runs cooking classes etc. so I'll get notified by email about those but I can easily ignore them. You could just purchase one, but I'd go through a consultant, not ebay. The only ones I saw on ebay were from Spain and were $1 000....I'm not parting with $1 000 when I can't be sure of its authenticity and with no warranty I'm assuming as well. I've never seen one on ebay in Aus and I've looked several times.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Benji  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I am sold on the Thermomix! That blog was awesome thanks Thermolicious, exactly what I was after.

One question, not dissimilar to Benji, thing is, I actually LIKE cooking. Most of the PPs don't seem to much. My question to all you Thermomix owners - are any of you cooking-lovers who still adore their Thermomix as much as those who aren't so fond of cooking?

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Hmm thanks, food for thought. I think I want one. It would be nice to have it do the boring parts of the cooking.

Is there ANY way to buy one without having a consultant coming over? I have zero time and have only just stopped being harassed by Enjo!

Has anyone purchased one from Ebay? And how did you convince your other half/bank account to come up with the arm and leg that they charge?
    I had a demo to prove that I didn't want one. I am always a skeptic about things like this. Well, the demo convinced me I did want one. Have your dh there. Two women at my demo are having their own demos so that their dh can be present and see it in action, after all, most men love gadgets.

The only way to get one in this country with a warranty is through a consultant. If you speak to a consultant, you could just order one without the demo, but they do a delivery demo when you get it to make sure you know how to use it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Benji  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Benji - I don't use it for everything. I still like to cook-cook. I still do cakes, muffins the old way as the recipes I love are quick and easy anyway (and like PP, DS loves to help). Though Thermie scones are great!

I still cook quite a bit. I might do meat on the stove and veg in Thermie (they taste better steamed in there) and/or rice. I always use it for things like white sauce and risotto though because it is so much easier.

I tend to use it daily for weeks and then not much for a few days, or only for milk for a proper coffee, or a smoothie.

But I do love it and think it will get a hammering when baby comes. DS went through a phase at about 14 months where he would scream every time I went in the kitchen that lasted for months, so if she does the same, Thermie will save me along with the slow cooker.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can use it for everything, or what you want to. Either way, it's fabulous and saves so much time. Coleslaw takes about 3 minutes!

I wouldn't buy one off eBay though. I have heard of people getting sent the battery operated kids one and things like that. Investigate the seller very carefully if you do.

As for buying without a party, I got mine as a present and the consultant came and did a demo without a party. I recommend going to a demo or doing the same as me, as it shows you what it can do. My demonstrator is 3 hours away, so maybe that has something to do with it, but the only contact we've had since is a monthly email from her with recipes, news and tips. I have contacted her to buy cook books and to replace my spatula which was easy done and she hasn't been pushy or annoying at all.
    Last edited by Californication; 02-03-2012 at 11:25.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

Benji  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're right Areca - just looked on ebay, only international sellers. And people are bidding over $10 for a brush that costs $5 on the Thermo website

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Areca  (02-03-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast