+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Awkward conversations with strangers...

Had this one this morning while holding DS2, who was dressed in a bright purple singlet suit.

Woman: "your daughter is very alert. Was she a big baby when she was born?"
    Me: "This is my son actually. But no he was average sized at birth he's just had a big growth spurt."
    Woman: "it was nice to see you bfing her before."
    Me: "Him. He's a boy. Thank you though."
    Woman *still cooing over DS* "She's such a cute little girl isn't she?"
    Me: "boy."
    Woman: "does she sleep well?"

Auuuggghhhhh!

This was at one of DS1's classes while I was chatting to the other mums. She was the third one who called DS2 a girl today, I corrected them all and they've all seen him before dressed more boyish... But honestly, must my son wear blue every day??

Vent over

Share any awkward convos you've had!

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    lol dense! or hearing problem i wonder?

anywho heres an awkward convo for you, while shopping for my 1 yr olds birthday, someone in the toy isle says "aww. so when are u due?"

".......soon......" *glares* *runs* *cries for a week*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Ha yeah I've had similar conversations about jasper (particularly around 18 months 90% of the time no matter how much red & blue & Thomas the tank engine clothes I dressed him in people would go with 'she')

The best one was even she misheard and thought his name was Jasmine. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My DS used to be mistaken for a girl, even while wearing blue, alllllll the time. Didn't really get to me I must admit.

DE I had the same. Some HUGE, overweight man asked me when I was due after I'd had my IUD inserted (it gave me huge bloating issues). It was SO embarrassing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Clucky - So frustrating!

And DiamondEyes Ouch. Some people can be so thoughtless.

I've posted this one before, but it was over a year ago... DD was about 7 months I think, and it went something like this:

Girl in shop: "Oh he's so cute. How old is he?"
    Me: "Actually it's a girl, and she's 7 months old."
    Girl: (clearly very surprised) "Oh! But her hair is SO short!"

Erm... she was 7 months old...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

glowingjoh  (05-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol.... my little girl (10mo) is always mistaken for being a boy, which drives me nuts as she wears so much frilly pink and has her ears pierced, YES she has short hair, but she's a baby!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    When DD1 was a little baby I was shopping with her and a Italian friend. I started to breastfed her and this old lady came over and started yelling at my for being so disgusting for trying feeding my friends baby. We both just stood there looking at her with rather blank looks. I tried to explain she was mine not my friends but she kept saying there was no way she could be mine as looked like my friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At our local shops the other day:

Random lady: "What a beautiful little girl you have...how old is she"
    Me: "she will be two in a couple of months"
    Random lade: "It's a lovely age isn't it? And I see you're expecting another? (looking at my stomach)"
    Me: "Errrr, no"

Awkward pause.......

Random lady continues on with conversation about her daughter while I try to suck my stomach in

Guess it's time to cut out some of the crap I eat!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    When DD1 was a little baby I was shopping with her and a Italian friend. I started to breastfed her and this old lady came over and started yelling at my for being so disgusting for trying feeding my friends baby. We both just stood there looking at her with rather blank looks. I tried to explain she was mine not my friends but she kept saying there was no way she could be mine as looked like my friend.
    How very bizarre!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get the gender & age mix ups all the time with DD grr... usually goes something like:

stranger: oh your son is such a gorgeous big boy!'
    me: 'uh she is a girl but thanks'
    stranger: 'oh oops, sorry sorry!! he, oh I mean she is such a big baby'
    me: 'yes she is, she is going to be very tall'
    stranger: 'Poor you she must have been huuuge when she was born!!'
    me: 'no, just average..."
    And so on...

Drives me nuts somedays... Especially the day DD was dressed in a ruffled skirt... Now I know she is the image of DF but really... I don't want to dress her in pink all the time either (not that that has stopped the confusion anyway lol!)..
    The age confusion I can understand though as DD is off the charts in height & weight so people assume she is 4-5months older than she is.