• yes

14 21.88%
  • no

50 78.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No way. If people want their kids to have a religious education then they should pay for it as an 'extra'. I think its so so wrong to teach it in public schools where there is an array of cultures and religions present. We send DS1 to a Catholic school because he is baptised and the public school here is shocking. It doesn't bother me too much that he is being taught religion even though I am atheist but he did come home the other day and tell us "Jesus loves us all" :-/ eek. This is KINDY!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No in it's current form. I went to public school and did scripture all through primary school as I was catholic and my parents chose that. However not every kid is catholic.
    Religious studies would be a better option which is what catholic schools do. My mil used to teach religious studies in a catholic highschool and used to teach about all faiths. So a better understanding of different faiths would be a better idea just to decrease ignorance

Eta- our scripture was always opt in and the kids who didn't do it was majority of kids stayed in class
    Last edited by Little-Pink-Hen; 01-03-2012 at 19:09.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    No way. If people want their kids to have a religious education then they should pay for it as an 'extra'. I think its so so wrong to teach it in public schools where there is an array of cultures and religions present. We send DS1 to a Catholic school because he is baptised and the public school here is shocking. It doesn't bother me too much that he is being taught religion even though I am atheist but he did come home the other day and tell us "Jesus loves us all" :-/ eek. This is KINDY!
    It'll only get worse as he gets older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not a fan of religious instruction for children and certainly not in public schools, I used to run an oosh service and had some lovely young men who were active in the local church group work for me but I had to remind them a number of times that couldn't 'preach' to the kids at oosh.
    Funny thing happened yesterday which made me think of the hub, I was at the shops and this little girl who would only have been in kindy was saying jesus christ this and jesus christ that and it sounded like she was cursing
    But of course she was just talking about jesus christ made us and jesus christ made the dinosaurs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that children should be taught about all major religions, and this should particularly be the approach in a public, non-religious school. Religious kids at public schools can access faith-specific learning through their church, or other place of worship, outside school hours. It would do wonders for tolerance and compassion in our society to give our children some more understanding of how others live and what they believe.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

sweetseven  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Religion forms a great deal of humanity's history. I think it should be covered. I don't think it should be taught as fact, perhaps as 'this is the belief system of ____' etc. I think it would encourage religious understanding and appreciation. I don't understand why religion is offered in senior. It gives students who study religion in catholic schools an advantage with their op as less people in the state study it (non-government schools). I think it would be wrong to preach religion in a government school if it doesn't mesh with the beliefs and values of the parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Isn't offered in senior*

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfornumber2 View Post
    don't understand why religion is offered in senior. It gives students who study religion in catholic schools an advantage with their op as less people in the state study it (non-government schools). I think it would be wrong to preach religion in a government school if it doesn't mesh with the beliefs and values of the parents
    It is offered.

My sister completed a senior subject based on religion ('The study of religion') which was an OP subject. This was at a private catholic school. I wasn't offered the same subject when I went through, so I was required to complete 'Religious Education' (RE), which wasn't an OP eligible subject. They made the change in 2005.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't like it. I do not want DD to attend Scripture classes. The ones here are extremely preachy!!!
    If it was just teaching, id be more open. But the whole "god made the earth, there I'd no such thing as evolution" talk would make me very angry.

I think primary school is too young. I'm an atheist and I loved my year 11-12 religion studies class! It wasn't just learning about 1 religion and was not preachy at all!!
    Last edited by waterlily; 02-03-2012 at 06:27.