• yes

14 21.88%
  • no

50 78.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    This, absolutely.

At the moment it's more a case of jamming Christianity down the throats of impressionable little children.
    Depends on the school. I only know the workings of 3 public schools, the 2 mentioned above and another that does not teach any religion at all.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Depends on the school. I only know the workings of 3 public schools, the 2 mentioned above and another that does not teach any religion at all.
    Yes, like anything it does depend on the school. My knowledge of this is based on experiences from my BIL (who is school age) and my step-brothers.

Their stories sound similar to what I was taught at primary school in the late 90's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This, absolutely.

At the moment it's more a case of jamming Christianity down the throats of impressionable little children.
    completely agree.

and in a multicultural society it's just not acceptable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (01-03-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it's ok, as long as they teach about ALL of the major religions and it's just information, not "you must believe this". That being said, we had religion (read: christianity) lessons once a week in my state primary school when I was little. There were some good morals taught there. I'm not christian, but I think what we learnt there was worthwhile, and it wasn't shoved down out throats.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I don't think it should be taught the way it currently is. I attend a church service with my family on the weekend and every week they advertise for someone to get involved in teaching RE in our local schools. I don't think that the form of religion that I have chosen for my family is what should be taught, and I would not like it taught to my children.

I would like my children to be taught religion at their state school as a historical/social/cultural subject. I would like them to get a major overview of all the worlds major religions, what they believe, their history and the people who follow them. I don't want my kids singing songs about Jesus and colouring in nativity pictures. Religious education in state schools should not be pushing children towards any particular religion, but rather educating them about them all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    No, it should not.

If parents wish to expose their children to their religion, they need to do it in their own time or send their child to the appropriate religious schools.

I would have no issues with a "this is what some people believe" thing. They manage to teach religion that way when covering ancient societies in schools, and nobody goes home thinking Zeus is real or anything. Same with Aboriginal dreamtime stories. They need to be taught like that. Perhaps alongside culture or something. Some sort of world studies class, if they're going to teach religion at all.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (01-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Absolutely not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No not how it is currently being "taught".

I have also found out just today about what happens when the children at my child's school don't go.

They used to do nothing. Sit outside the classroom, clean and do errands. There is now (this year) a reading club for the children that don't go to RE.

We weren't allowed to celebrate Dr Suess birthday (which is tomorrow) in this group as the children who ARE doing RE would miss out. Anything we do in the reading group can not extend on anything they already know. They can not learn anything new as then the other children miss out.

We can't do anything too exciting while the other children are doing their RE class as the other children would miss out.

Rather feels as they are wanting our children in the RE by trying to make them dislike what they do if they miss out on RE.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, like anything it does depend on the school. My knowledge of this is based on experiences from my BIL (who is school age) and my step-brothers.

Their stories sound similar to what I was taught at primary school in the late 90's.
    That's a shame. I think it's good to be taught the way the other primary and high school here teach it. Knowledge is power, and having an understanding of other cultures and religions (including the Aboriginal Dreamtime) can lead to tolerance and acceptance by the wider community. They even do that in dd's religious school, but the public schools do it outside regular school hours. My daughter learning about the Greek Gods, or the religious background of Middle Eastern countries or Dreamtime stories from Aboriginal Elders can only serve to open her mind and her heart and allow her to understand and accept other people.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast