14 21.88%
  • no

50 78.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it should be taught as a basic understand to help students understand other cultures and their beliefs. Help cultural tolerance amoungst youth. There is alot of misunderstanding of different religion so I think it would be helpful.

Especially since Australia is a multicultral country and there are people from all around the world that have different cultral backgrounds and beliefs. So it would be nice for our children to have a basic understanding of their religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope, I think if people want to teach their children about religions in the world they can take that time themselves at home. Personally, if anyone suggested that I had to opt out rather than having to opt in I would be pretty annoyed and especially if something like what happened to a PP happened to my child. I definitely think children should be given the freedom to decide what they believe, but I also think it is the parents right not to have them bible bashed and to decide how and when they are exposed to religion and belief systems. No government should be telling people how to educate their children on that score.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No. Absolutely not.

My kids go to Catholic schools, I want them to learn about our faith. Every parent should have that right, regardless of their religion.
    But state schools which cater to all religious and non-religious denominations should not teach it. It shouldn't be a matter of 'excluding' the children, or 'opt-out'. If anything it should be opt-in.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningWithScissors For This Useful Post:

Benji  (01-03-2012)

RoarsomeMum is offline Right to speak, responsibility to listen..
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not sure.. Roar is 4 and believes in God (the same way she believes in magic and the faraway tree and santa and a bunch of other things that are less than real) They tell a few bible stories and they tell a few magical stories.. neither are pushed as "truth."

The new program/primary school aged program sounds a heck of a lot more specific than that!!!!!!!!!!..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think it should be taught, however, I don't think a school should force a child to attend RE.

My DD's public primary school in NSW has an opt in/opt out policy. They have 3 "classes" each Thursday morn for 30 mins - 1. Catholic Scripture 2. Combined Scripture or 3. Non scripture. It is entirely up to the child's parents which class the child goes to.

We send DD to Combined Scripture so that she can have an understanding, however, we also discuss evolution and the beliefs of others. I hope this makes her a more rounded person.

FYI - I guess I would class myself as a Christian (non-church attending) and my DH is Agnostic. He doesn't believe in "God" as such but more of a Karma spiritual thing.

I believe the Govt is talking about introducing an "Ethics" based class for non-scripture children. I'm opposed to this - I believe all children should have the ability to attend not just non scripture children. I will want my DD to attend even though she attends scripture lessons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think religion should be taught in the same way as any other academic subject. It should be taught in terms of history, beliefs, differing viewpoints, cultural/ social relevance, etc.

I don't think it should be taught in a prescriptive or faith based way.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I voted yes, but in the context similar to a lot of you. I think that most religion's should be learnt about in schools. It plays such a significant role in the world and one of the biggest blights on our species is our lack of understanding of people different to ourselves. I, personally, would love to know more about Islam, or Hinduism etc etc.

I think this would breed a lot more tolerance in our future generations which would be great! But as it stands, it's like religion's are jealous of their believers. "No, don't learn about that! Only read OUR version!!"

And then we sit around and scratch our heads why there isn't greater tolerance in the world!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Cdro  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Every1sm8 View Post
    Yes I think it should be taught, however, I don't think a school should force a child to attend RE.

My DD's public primary school in NSW has an opt in/opt out policy. They have 3 "classes" each Thursday morn for 30 mins - 1. Catholic Scripture 2. Combined Scripture or 3. Non scripture. It is entirely up to the child's parents which class the child goes to.

We send DD to Combined Scripture so that she can have an understanding, however, we also discuss evolution and the beliefs of others. I hope this makes her a more rounded person.

FYI - I guess I would class myself as a Christian (non-church attending) and my DH is Agnostic. He doesn't believe in "God" as such but more of a Karma spiritual thing.

I believe the Govt is talking about introducing an "Ethics" based class for non-scripture children. I'm opposed to this - I believe all children should have the ability to attend not just non scripture children. I will want my DD to attend even though she attends scripture lessons.
    Most schools do have an 'Opt in /Opt out policy' -- ours does. BUT more often than not (and I haven't yet seen a form that is different) the 'default' is if your child is automatically opted IN if you don't make a trip to the school office and sign an exemption form. The 'non scripture class' CAN NOT be anything instructed - it can only be revision, colouring or homework. (that is what my kids are doing --- aka sitting in the principals office coloring in) ..because it depends on numbers.
    I imagine if the DEFAULT was 'your child will be Opted OUT unless you make a trip to the school office and put in writing that you accept your child attending a scripture class' -- the numbers of children attending would be incredibly different.
    So - while it 'looks like' there is a third option - there really isn't one for MANY students - and THIS is why there is why people are making a stand.

The Ethics classes were introduced as an alternative to scripture classes because many proclaimed that the scripture lessons were all about teaching morals and how to be a good person etc.. so the Ethcis classes provided pretty much the same thing - just not based around the belief of a diety.
    These classes are only offered to grades 5 & 6 at the moment (so no option for little ones) and recently Fred Nile has demanded an investigation into these classes and the people who volunteer to run them and the parents who send their children have been thrown some ridiculous questions to make the whole program sound beastly.

Sorry - but if you would like your child to attend an Ethics class, don't send them to scripture -easy - teach that at home if it is your own beleif - rather than trying to strip an alternative from children who don't have parents of a religious background.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 01-03-2012 at 11:04.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (01-03-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    no.

my son came home quite distressed last december saying he was "forced to celebrate god" at a christmas/nativity concert. which happened DURING RE time, and all the non scripture kids were made to attend.

furious!

Thanks
    Reviews
    No. An overview of major religions is already taught under the Human Society and it's environment subject at DDs current and previous primary school. Religion is a personal choice and it drives me crazy that for 40 mins a week my kid sits at school doing nothing, excluded from her peers, because we don't have a religion. We are supposed to be secular so why is our govt keeping religion in govt school? Not on IMO. I'd much rather her attend an ethics class TBH. You can be a good person without fear of a god or a bunch of rules set down thousands if years ago.