+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Toilet training my 16 month old Help please.

Hi,

I'm thinking about starting to toilet train my 16 month old girl.

I don't want to force her into toilet training, I just want to be prepared for when she wants to.

I have brought her a book about the potty to make it more interesting and spark her interest.
    I'm also going to buy a potty to sit next the the big toilet as she often likes to do what were doing : ).

Any suggestions, advice or what did and didn't work for you would be great! Thanks.

Last edited by shell90; 01-03-2012 at 10:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I have a 16 month old and thinking the same. I sit her on the potty and she wees first think in the morning as after her nap, but I have no idea where to go from there :-) so I will be following

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh sent too early...following this thread! Thanks :-) oh and my 16 month old is a girl too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Rhirhi,

Yea, Its something I never hear that many talk about.
    I have the book Kid Wrangling by Kaz Kook, amazing book. As it
    it filled with real families, and real suggestions, none of the 'this-is-what-they-should-be-doing stuff', and 'if-there-not-then-your-bad-parents'.

I believe every child is different and so is every family, what works for some, may not work for others. And none of them are necessarily right or wrong way to do it. And the book is filled with lots of 'suggestions' plus it really funny!

Where about do you live Rhi, I am on the Gold Coast, I haven't been here for long as I moved from Perth. Would be great to have friends with kidlets around my daughters age!

Either way, maybe if you have Facebook or something, we can update each other on our attempts to potty train.
    Does you daughter like sitting on the potty? Does she know what shes there to do?
    My daughter is very independent, and I'm afraid if I sit her on a potty, she will refuse to use it because I put her there lol. She often wont eat food I give her and instead likes to take our food and feed it to herself. She even dresses herself in the mornings. Very cute!

Talk soon Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I toilet trained my son at that age ...

Started with peeing on the potty before baths etc

By 20 months he was potty at home, nappy to go out ...

22 months no nappy home or out or for naps, only overnight ...

24 months completely nappy free ...

I just took it slowly and let him lead the way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did my youngest at 14 months and oldest at 20 months, all good ideas do far, best thing to do is have nappy off time for a day and monitor when she wee's this will give you a good indication on her bladder size, that way if she has a bladder that lasts 2 hours you won't be taking her every 20 mins and she won't be getting annoyed, also if she has a smaller bladder you won't have as many accidents by taking her to the toilet every 2hours, I went from nappies to good cloth training pants (close parent..grovia) to totally nappy free and stopped using them other then for sleeps, that includes out of the house.
    Your not pushing her into anything she is learning how to use the toilet, 'waiting until she is ready' was a common slogan amongst disposable nappy companies, the fact of the matter is very young babies in Africa and parts of Asia don't wear nappies, it's called elimination communication look it up!
    Did you know babies and toddlers spend at most 30 mins eliminating a day, yet we expect them to wear a nappy 24/7! How hot and uncomfortable and unnecessary! It's much easier to toilet learn earlier as they don't fight you and they haven't been taught to use their nappy as a toilet, sorry for the tangent good luck to you xox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We started with poos first at 14mths. Whenever we could see her 'poo face' we would pop her on the potty and read her a book. It took about a month to work out that poo goes on the potty and she would hold on relatively well or scream if we took too long.

Then we popped her on the potty at regular intervals 30m-1hr depending on water consumption. But after a nap or sleep we always put her on the potty By 18mths she was dry overnight and would wait to wee in the mornings. Same after naps.

Then she started daycare and it went all down the toilet metaphorically. 8 weeks later we ate back at poo in the toilet and re starting wees. She now tells us she needs to go but if we take too long to take her or to understand her then it's an accident. If she is playing then she has to often be reminded.

Just be aware that changes cab really throw them off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started my daughter a month ago (she is now 20mths) and we've had mixed success.

She will go (poo and wee) on the potty, but she will also sit for ages on the potty doing nothing (reading books!) and get angry if you take her off it, and also will wee on the floor if she is tired or distracted.

She is a big talker, and will tell us when she needs her nappy changing, or if she is about to do a poo. We've been giving her stickers to reward going on the toilet, but the biggest obstacle we've found so far is that I take her out every day (for a lot of the day), and there is no consistency with her being at home to potty train.

She also won't do it for DH or my parents (who have her at least 1 day per week). So that means that for a couple of mornings a week she will do it for me, but then the rest of the time we're out - so I put nappies on her - or she's with DH/ mum and won't do it.

So - I'm not sure I have many tips, but am subscribing for more!

She likes taking the potty to the toilet and flushing whatever is in it down the toilet... And she loves coming to the toilet with me and flushing it once I've been.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    GirlX it would be worth investing in a good pair of training pants, the grovia ones are really great and they will hold a really good sized wee, they have a pocket so you can add absorbency, the nappy wearing would be confusing her

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Maximum22 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum22 View Post
    GirlX it would be worth investing in a good pair of training pants, the grovia ones are really great and they will hold a really good sized wee, they have a pocket so you can add absorbency, the nappy wearing would be confusing her
    My son couldn't wear training pants, they confused him too much ... We just went straight to regular undies ... and I can kind of understand why too, why use the loo if his undies will catch it all?

But then my sister used trainers with fear success