+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Problems with liver/cyst and left ventricle of heart...

This pregnancy has been such a hard one for me.

It is my third child and as I had just had pelvic surgery to have a rectocyle corrected, I was definately not trying to fall pregnant. The fact that I fell pregnant at all, a week before my surgery is a bit of a miracle to begin with and that the pregnancy survived the surgery and subsequent pain killers.

As a result I was sent for the 12 week scan and blood test to see if the surgery had had a negative effect on bub. All came back completely clear aside from a concern with the brain development. A scan two weeks later showed that there was no need to worry at all.

As if all of that stress wasn't enough, I went for my routine 20 week scan yesterday. My dates put me at 18 and a half weeks. The scan put me a week ahead as had the previous scan so she is growing at the rate she should but a few issues have come up that seem bizarre to me and I'm really scared because none of the doctors in my city can explain what's going on.

Bub has an enlarged liver with a calcific focus inside it and multiple calcific foci around the outside of it. There is also quite a large cystic structure underneath the kidney, possibly attached to an ovary. But they really have no idea if it is. They are guessing based on the approximate position of it.

And on top of all of that, there is a single echogenic focus on the left ventricle of the heart. Heart rate has dropped slightly from what it has been in the past but they are happy with it still being at 135bpm.

I have been told that my chances of any chromosomal abnormality are so crazy remote that I shouldn't allow myself to consider it seriously but I'm freaking out.

I had a TORCH blood screen today as well. Am going to Brisbane for another scan on Friday and hopefully they'll have the results from the bloods to give me some answers.

I've been trying to find something on google that might explain all of this without much luck. Has anyone had anything similar or have any information? The doctors here are literally saying, I don't know, I can't tell you anything. I'm going out of my mind

Angie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no knowledge of the possible problems that the scans have shown but I did not want to read and not respond.

I can only imagine how stressful and frustrating it is not knowing what is happening and what the risks/treatments are. Hopefully the doctors can give you some answers soon and that whatever may be wrong can be easily treated.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

earthlyangelic  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you. I didn't have any complications at all with my boys so I was devastated to be told that for starters I need to have a c-section with this baby and that there may be problems. The waiting is the worst!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hear you are going through a trying time.
    I dont know enough to comment on the liver and ovary cyst but I do know that it is common to find a single echogenic focus in the left ventricle of the heart in normal babies. It is when there is an echogenic focus on the right side of the heart or on both sides of heart that there is a greater link to chromosomal problems.