+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I didn't bother (despite a few people telling me it was absolutely necessary and I was being a bad parent if I didn't go!) as I was having a csection. I did however attend a breast feeding class that the hospital offered which was very informative and full of good information.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't and really regret it. I was planning on having an epidural anyway, but I felt having that class under my belt would have helped me handle the contractions better.

I attended my hospital's breastfeeding class which was great.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only done one of four classes so far but am enjoying it so far. As PP mentioned its a nice social thing to meet other parents to be.

I don't know if I'll learn a lot as I've done a lot of reading but it's nice for DH to know it and not gave it all come from me like I'm a teacher. it is also good to be more familiar with the hospital environment and get an idea on where they stand on certain issues. I'll also be finding out things like if I want to use a birthing ball do I need to provide it.

So probably not a must do but I'm glad we are going.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stillwaiting For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with the others. It depends on the person.
    I was already well aware of all the things they talked about, but I'm still glad I went, because it was fun.
    DP really got a lot out of it, so in very glad he went with me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nicoletta For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I regretted going to the hospital classes, they focused alot on possible complications and found reading books much more helpful.

In hindsight I should have done a hypnobirthing or natural birth class rather than the standard hospital classes.

Sent from my LT15i

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zzz For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    We did a calm birth workshop over a weekend, and the Monday after, the hospital classes started. Im so so glad we did calm birth first, as the whole first session at hospital was about pain relief. Obviously that info is really good, but the way it was delivered was quite scary ("... So after this many hours you will need an epidural...")

So my opinion is that the hospital classes serve a purpose and it's good to be familiar with their policies etc, but there are other informative options out there than can be more useful.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to peasmum For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peasmum View Post
    Hi
    We did a calm birth workshop over a weekend, and the Monday after, the hospital classes started. Im so so glad we did calm birth first, as the whole first session at hospital was about pain relief. Obviously that info is really good, but the way it was delivered was quite scary ("... So after this many hours you will need an epidural...")

So my opinion is that the hospital classes serve a purpose and it's good to be familiar with their policies etc, but there are other informative options out there than can be more useful.
    Agree. I'm glad we did our independent birthing classes first (Hypnobirthing) and then the hospital classes, which helped us to determine how our ideal Hypnobirth may fit within usual hospital practices. Still found them both useful as first time parents.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Polly6034 For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

abiishu is offline embrace your inner birthing goddess
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with PPs, I think it really depends on who is running the class. Some midwives have the most wonderful stories to share, and others seem to be all about scaremongering and pain relief options. It really just depends, and if you luck onto a good midwife I'm sure you'll be glad you went

16. The Following User Says Thank You to abiishu For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't go and didn't feel the need. I don't regret it either. I'm doing just fine through my own trial and error and reading "What to expect" books

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Russian Netting For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think I got heaps out of it, as I'd done heaps of reading etc, but it was really good for DH- even though I'd told him a lot of the same information covered he seemed to absorb it a bit more when it was coming from a 3rd party! He really liked meeting a lot of 1st time dads to be there as well so all over worth the money & time for that.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

veetea  (01-03-2012)