+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Blood test for 18mth old

Hi
    I guess I just wanted advice and reassurrance. My 18 month old daughter will need a blood test soon. I have no idea how she is going to cope (she got quite upset at her immunisations a few weeks ago). I am anxious about it too and the thought of her having a needle stuck in her arm upsets me. Can anyone tell me what will happen. How they do it? Ideas to distract her or anything to help her (and me) through it. Thanx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi and big hugs to you and your DD. As a mother of a DD who has had to have lots of blood tests, its not nice but with the right path nurse it can be a heck of a lot easier. Here is some of the best advice I can give you:

1. Ring around the pathology labs and suss out who is really confident doing bloods on children, most places will happily volunteer the information to you or you could ask your pead/GP if they can recomend a particular person - a confident pathology person will get the job done really quickly with minimum fuss and will not be stressed out because its a child THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE I WILL GIVE YOU!!!! DO YOUR RESEARCH

2. Once you find the right person book an appointment early in the morning, its a lot easier if your DD is not tired or hungry etc... booking a time and giving them notice you are coming will ensure you are in and out quickly.

3. For the actual blood test normally with little ones it a 2 person job one will help to hold your little one still who will normally sit on your lap and the other will draw the blood - they wont fluff around and will aim to be in and out as quickly as they can.

4. Save the treats for after the test - please do not give food as a distraction as your DD could possibly choke. I personally reward such bravery with a chuppa chup (which will instantly end tears or something sweet as research has shown that a sweet treat will stop the tears as the sugar acts on the pleasure part of the brain instantly). Most pathology places give the little ones a bravery certificate etc which your DD quite frankly will not give a crap about at that particular moment but it is good to pull out for any future tests as a reminder of their bravery.

5. If you are overwhelmed by anxiety and its all really stressful ask for one of the path nurses to hold your DD while the other does the test.

Can I just reassure you that with a confident skilled person it will all be over nearly as quickly as an immunization plus remember because they are going into a vein instead of a muscle it does not hurt nearly as much and there is no soreness or lumps afterwards.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lovelymum For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (01-03-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are going to a Douglas Hanley Moir they will specify usually on the website which centres are collections for paediatric purposes. I would definitely call them though & make sure that person is there.

Keep your baby well hydrated & warm before they try to take the blood.

I have had to try to find one of these today & have been reassured the person who will do it for my 6 month old son is an expert.

Knowledge is power…the more you know before you go in the better it will be. And because she is so young she will get over it all very very quickly. Just have treat ready for when it is all finished & be there to look after her while she is going through it, she just needs to know her mummy is there for her even though it will be tough for you too.

If it looks like they don;t know what they are doing, don't hesitate to call it off & try somewhere else another day.

Good luck & let us know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try using the elma gel on her arms before the test... Take a comforter with you such as a blanket, dummy, teddy etc
    Good luck!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks girls. Your advice is wonderful. I was getting my self worked up and was not thinking straight so I hadn't thought of many of these things. Will hold off on the treats (I was going to try and feed her treats during the BT but definately will wait now). I would definately like to hold her so sitting in the chair with her will be comforting too. So my job over the next few days is to find a pathology place I am comfortable with. The form they have given me is for HAPS (Hunter Valley) and there are a few locations that are close by so I have a good choice of where I want to go and I will make an appointment (morning is good for us). Yes knowledge is power and if it doesn't feel right then I will cancel and arrange something else.
    Thanx [COLOR="#0000FF"]Lovelymum
    for the hugs. I know once it is over I will feel better. Just hate the thought of putting my baby thru things like this.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Waitingfordaisy I will ask about the elma gel when I call the pathologists. I was not sure if they used it with children. I thought I read somewhere that it sometimes has a 'burning' sensation as it is working??? Maybe I read wrong?? Don't know much about it?

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by L.j View Post
    Waitingfordaisy I will ask about the elma gel when I call the pathologists. I was not sure if they used it with children. I thought I read somewhere that it sometimes has a 'burning' sensation as it is working??? Maybe I read wrong?? Don't know much about it?
    Ask your pharmacist. It's not cheap, but I've found it effective (for me). Also, I've found they get my blood easier if I'm well hydrated. Good luck! Huge hugs for you both!