+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Her "research" (I cringe even typing that in inverted commas) basically involved hanging out with the upper class French. It's heavily criticised, even by people who like the book.

Here are a couple of excerpts from the very start of the book - it's just dripping in smugness and very stereotypical:

and my favourite:
    Sounds like a idiot! What a blanket statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've read some of it, I hated it and I won't be trying anything.

I was in France a few years ago and my parents just got back, and we have both commented on how "well behaved" the children were in restaurants.

This is not some magic secret - just that the children are subjected to a large amount of discipline in order to conform to some antiquated idea that children should behave like adults.

Rather than train a 3 yr old to be passive in a restaurant they should be questioning an ideology that encourages such small children to have the same reasoning, concentration and thought processes as someone who is fully grown.

Yuk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Someone seems a little jealous of the French

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Someone seems a little jealous of the French

Really? Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can someone actually tell me what she suggests the secret is, since I will likely never buy or read it lol.. I am meant to be studying right now but this is too interesting. I have never been to France so I have no idea what their children or their parenting is like. I am a fairly firm type of parent, but not one for expecting kids to sit quietly for ages in a restaurant either since I expect its fairly boring for them.. But I do wish I could enjoy at least one cup of coffee without getting nagged to death!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love the French, especially Manu

I would love to live in France! The culture is amazing. I'm heading over in May so I'll keep my eyes peeled for screaming children throwing their croissants

All French people aren't like this author. She is stereotyping the entire country and belittling others.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (29-02-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah Manu, how I would like to do things to Manu.

Children in restaurants weren't really on my radar when I was in France 9 years ago, I mainly noticed the dogs

I find it hard to believe that french kids don't throw tantrums in supermarkets or restaurants and training them out of it seems a bit harsh. I prefer to know what my DD's limitations are, don't expect her to sit there and listen to adults talk rubbish for hours after the meal, be prepared to take her out for a walk between courses and take some quiet activities like drawing and even games on my phone.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I didn't realise that people would feel so strongly about this book - I personally took it for what it is - one mothers observations on parenting whilst spending a significant time living in France. It certainly is not claiming to be a parenting book but reads more like a narrative of someones personal experiences. The author doesn't claim to be Dr Sears, Dr Spock or any other child rearing 'guru' nor that her work is in any way empirically research based - although she does at times draw on the research of others.

I feel like I should let others know what I enjoyed - being a new parent of a lovely 7 week old boy I was interested when hearing about the French approach to sleep - this was initially my main reason for reading.

In a nutshell things I took from it are:

- the pause - observing my DS in the night when I "think" he is waking to ensure that he is (I found I was actually waking him up and after further investigation I was disrupting his sleep cycles - now I am reading/observing his noises, grunts etc to ensure I'm not waking him up unnecessarily becaue I think he is starting to wake for a feed, he is now sleeping 5-6 hours at a time and we are all well rested - this may be obvious to some but was not to me and nobody had shared this information with me either)

- the notion of children being able to have self control within their developmental stage - 'being sage' - it is not at all about children not making a 'peep' at a restaurant but educating children to behave appropriately in different situations - similar to what children are taught at primary school here - 'different rules for different places'

- allowing children to value their own company and to be able to play without being interrupted by an adult

I certainly wouldn't claim that the book was any sort of a parenting manual rather an entertaining read about one mother of 3's (a girl and twin boys) observations and experiences of bringing up children in a country different to her own.

Anyway different strokes for different folks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

ReleaseTheHounds  (15-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Her "research" (I cringe even typing that in inverted commas) basically involved hanging out with the upper class French. It's heavily criticised, even by people who like the book.

Here are a couple of excerpts from the very start of the book - it's just dripping in smugness and very stereotypical:

and my favourite:
    AAGHHHHH I think I might actually end up stabbing someone if I read this book!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mais, non. Let's not talk about thees absurd leetle book, a load o' bollocks
    Let us, instead, talk about doing zings to Manu!
    Oh la la. (in dodgy French accent)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to really old For This Useful Post:

Bubs'n'Roses  (01-03-2012)