+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dream feeds and self settling!!

I'm seeking advice on dream feeds and self settling! My 15 week old baby can finally self settle.and her sleeping has greatly improved. I have now tried to introduce a dream feed at 10.30pm sometimes she sleeps through it and sometimes she wakes. If she does wake up during she then tends to fall asleep towards the end. Once finished I then put her back in her cot asleep. Am I creating a habit for her of "feeding to sleep". For all her other sleeps including her other night sleep she self settles using her dummy. Can you please share your advice? Should I completely wake her and feed her and then should I make sure I put her back in bed awake or not worry about her waking and falling asleep on the breast? I'm scared of creating a bad habit!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i dont beleive they can have bad habits so young! id do whatever it takes to get some rest

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree with doing whatever it takes. They seem to change regardless of how good/bad they may be at self settling when so little. My DS is now nine months. He self settled ok up until about eight months old and now gets upset if in his cot alone. I'm just going with the flow and giving him cuddles/pats when he wants them. I think he only started this behavior because he is developing new skills and becoming more 'emotionally aware' not because he's developed bad habits.

I have been dream feeding for a few months and usually he falls asleep or doesn't waken properly.

My only advice is don't stress too much about what you're doing and follow her cues. Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    falling asleep on the boobie is the most natural thing in the world they are only little once enjoy being able to nurture them as it doesn't last long enough!! Babies don't create bad habits do what u feel is comfortable for you if you need some space with breastfeeding introduce a snuggle bear or comforter for them but enjoy your baby don't stress on these things your doing a great job theres nothing wrong with settling with the boobie every now and then but I settled my boy till 9 months with the boobie and now he doesn't breast feed after weaning himself at 10.5 months, a cuddle & his snuggle bear is all he wants at sleep time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I just went by my bub if they wake feed them if I want to sleep in I'd top them up before I went to bed lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never really done dream feeds, but from what I can gather the idea is to feed them without disturbing them too much to 'top them up' in the hope they don't wake later for a feed, so I definately wouldn't intentionally wake her for the dreamfeed. I wouldn't worry about creating a feed-to-sleep association if she wakes a little and falls back asleep during the dreamfeed - she seems to be able to settle ok otherwise. I also agree with babymay - they tend to go through phases of being able to self settle and needing some help to get to sleep (at least this has been true for my DS), so go with what works and don't worry too much about 'bad habits'.