+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Leap Year Birthdays-when to celebrate?

I'm currently 40+5, so if bubs decides to finally make his grand entrance today, then I'm going to have a leap year baby!

Just curious -- to those of you in the same boat as me just about to pop, or those of you who already have children born on the 29th Feb, when do you plan on celebrating their birthdays in non-leap years, 28th Feb or 1st March, & why? (If anyone else who has friends/family who are Feb 29'ers keen to hear what they do too).

Also, someone ("helpfully") said to me yesterday that ppl born on this date can't have their "actual" birthdate on their birth certificate, passport, etc, because it's not a "real" date - is this true????

This person also said that computer systems in things like banks, Medicare, gas company etc etc don't recognize this date either, so your whole life you have to have a standard fake birthdate of 28/2 or 1/3 just to satisfy this.....again, is this true? Sounds like a headache for people in this situation!!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    The newspaper article I read yesterday said that most people celebrated 1/3 as this was the date recognized by most countries.

Didn't say anything about your documentation being recorded as something different though. I would have thought that legally the real date 29/2 would have to be used ?????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Aunt was born on the 29th but celebrates on the 28th. We joke all the time about the fact that technically today is only her 11th actual birthday.

babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My mother was born on 29/2. Her passport, license, and all other official documents have her proper DOB on them. She celebrates on 1/3. Every 4 years we have a big party.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babycake For This Useful Post:

Monkey'sMummy  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard that most people born before midday use 28/2 & after midday use 1/3. A friend had a massive 5th birthday for his 21st complete with fairy bread, honey joys & school uniforms. It was great. He has never mentioned anything about the date being changed by govt dept, although I do remember him being accused of fake ID once because the bouncer didn't believe it was a real date(one too many steroids I think)

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bestie is having her '6th' birthday today. Other years she celebrates on the 28th because she was born in February, not March. Her proper date are on all her official documents. We used to live together and never had any issues with her DOB for power companies or anything else like that.
    I'm pretty sure the only issue age has ever had was the year she turned 18 and we went to the pub to celebrate. It was the 28th the year she turned 18 and the bouncer wouldn't let us in because technically she wasn't 18 yet as it was not yet the 29th.
    We had to wait for a couple of hours until midnight and it was officially march 1st and she was 'technically 18'. Such a disappointing night.

Milky mumma since July 2011

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would say the 1/3.. they were born the day after the 28th not on the 28th if that makes sense

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would go with 28th February, at least that way the month is correct even if the date isn't.

How exciting, it would be such a cool birthday!

ETA Banks etc not recognising the date sounds highly dubious to me... What, they're just not using the date on their computers today?! If they can enter the date as it occurs every four years, I'm sure they can cope with entering a birth date
    Last edited by lambjam; 29-02-2012 at 08:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's my little sisters 4th actual birthday today We usually celebrate her birthday on the 28th because as previous posters have said, her birth month is February so that stays the same.