+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speckled View Post
    I wouldn't know where to begin on how to teach my kids to tie laces.

If the teachers don't teach it, do they at least teach the parents how to teach their kids?
    You are having a lark right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm sorry in advance... but I have to respond again...and hope I don't cause offence.

seriously! shoe laces? I haven't been a member very long on BH but the amount of threads I've read that really run down teachers is making me think. I have already said I won't touch laces (I'm a teacher)... big deal! there are plenty of kids who will do laces for others and people who will. That being said, I also won't hold a tissue to a child's face for them to blow their nose! Does this make me a bad teacher?
    Just for once (and thanks in advance to those who have been supportive to teachers).... I'd like to see a thread that says how much teachers do.
    Parents these days are so ready to run in to school and abuse the teacher over miniscule things like tying laces/toilet runs/etc etc... but where are all the thanks...like
    thanks for teaching my child to read, write, spell, count, add, subtract, divide, multiply, research, present a speech, paint, draw.... or thank you for helping them with making friends, sorting out bullying, caring for them on excursions or camp, taking them swimming, helping them with their problems.... just to name a few!
    seriously... laces? I mean, I've been a teacher about 15 years and not once have I ever worked in a school where a kid tripped over their lace and broke a leg. (but I have seen a kid break an arm for running on the concrete where the school rule is walking!)...
    lets have a 'thank a teacher' thread...much more happy!!!
    I guess the thing is, all those above mentioned things are part of your job. don't get me wrong, i buy presents for the teachers at the end of the year, but seriously, teaching kids is a job you have chosen, thanks for that, do you need a medal? going out of your way to be kind and do extras like help my child wipe their nose or tie their laces would get you one in my book. If i ever get a teacher who openly says they refuse to tie laces or wipe noses I will be straight out the door. Teachers get bagged in these types of threads exactly cause they say stuff like that. yuck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    I guess the thing is, all those above mentioned things are part of your job. don't get me wrong, i buy presents for the teachers at the end of the year, but seriously, teaching kids is a job you have chosen, thanks for that, do you need a medal? going out of your way to be kind and do extras like help my child wipe their nose or tie their laces would get you one in my book. If i ever get a teacher who openly says they refuse to tie laces or wipe noses I will be straight out the door. Teachers get bagged in these types of threads exactly cause they say stuff like that. yuck.
    Um, what? Since when is it a teachers job to teach your child to blow their nose or tie their laces? It's comments like this, expecting teachers to do things other than teach their subjects, that **** me off.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Actuality86 For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow..... 9 pages about tying shoelaces. Lol.

I haven't read it all (sorry!), but I am a prep teacher (5 year olds). Not many children can tie their shoelaces at this age - no matter how well trained they are, the skills needed generally develop around grade 1. I have tied MANY a shoelace in my day. They are often wet, grimy and disgusting. I keep hand sanitiser with me, and try not to think about what is actually on them. Usually I have one smarty pants who knows how to tie shoelaces by about the middle of the year, so I send children to them and ask the child if they would like to tie up the shoelaces for them (I don't force them to tie shoelaces if they don't want to! But they are always very willing and proud to show off their skills.)

I have only once refused to tie a child's shoelaces.... it was a little boy who would come to me and ask me to tie his laces, and then would sit there undoing them again. As soon as he had them undone (within 5 minutes), he would come and ask me to tie them again, only to undo them straight away again. I told him that I did not have time to play these games with him, and if he wanted to untie his shoelaces purposely, I would leave them undone for him. That was really an issue of his behaviour rather than shoelaces just coming undone on their own. He very soon learned to leave them done up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    Oh no! No! I strongly disagree with this. Remind me to tell the next parent who whines and whinges about their hard day on the Hub, that it's the job they chose and do they need a medal? That's soooooo disrespectful, and if your idea of a good teacher is about laces and snot then maybe it's good you're packing your bags.
    Honestly. Shoe laces? Unbelievable.
    Last edited by Alexander Beetle; 29-02-2012 at 21:28.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I'm sorry to digress, but it is NOT a school teacher's job to wipe snotty noses. Child care, yes. Pre-school - maybe. School - no way. 5+ year olds need to be taught how to wipe and blow their own noses. I used to tell the parents that this is one of the things that they need to teach their child before they get to school. It is not hard to teach your 5 year old how to blow their own nose, and is a basic life skill that they need to know before they start school. The only children I've EVER had struggle with this is children with special needs, in which case, I will assist them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was likening the nose blowing to grotty laces. Really just an example of how ridiculous the things are teachers do.
    And my job? That's why I get paid and I don't deserve a medal for teaching your kid to read. Maybe not. But I do teach 25+ children every day for more than six hours. They are safe, protected and usually happy and learning After school I mark and plan lessons. Sometimes I go to kids events. Like last year I watched one of my students compete in a dog show! Not part of my job but because I love what I do that's what I do. But do I tie shoe laces. Never !!
    Stop with the teacher bashing. It's a tough job and usually the ones who knock us wouldn't last five minutes in the classroom... Or on an excursion or on a camp.
    Okay... I've ranted enough now. Sorry.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

WorkingClassMum  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The kids had swimmimg today. Back at school, nearly every child in Prep, about half the kids in year 1, and a few in years 2 and 3 needed help with their shoes. The teachers, aides, parents, other kids all gave assistance without hesitation. I really like our school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are you sick of high paid teachers? Teachers’ hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It’s time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - baby sit! We can get that for less than minimum wage.

That’s right. Let’s give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM
    with 45 min. off for lunch and plan — that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children.

Now how many do they teach in day…maybe 30? So that’s $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET’S SEE…. That’s $585 X 180= $105,300 peryear. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master’s degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children
    X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute — there’s something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher’s salary (nation wide) is $60,000. $60,000/180 days = $333.34/per day/22 students= $15.16/6.5 hours = $2.33 per hour per student–a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!)

AND on top of that you want them to start teaching basic life skills that is a parents job

Please also remember, most teachers are parents too...

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (29-02-2012),GothChick  (01-03-2012),Guest654  (01-03-2012),Mysurprisebaby  (01-03-2012),Pippi01  (29-02-2012),RunningWithScissors  (01-03-2012),Tamtam  (29-02-2012),TimTamsandTea  (29-02-2012),Witwicky  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I havent read the entire thread but i had a quiet word with my 4yr old teacher with how he needed assistance with his shorts when he goes to the toilet as he has a bit of trouble with them. She and the aid were both more than happy to help out with that.

We are using velcro shoes currently but next year going onto laces and i hope by having a quiet word with the teacher if he hasnt got it down pat, that little bit of help given will give my child the confidence he can ask for help if needed with anything from school work to even bullying if and when that happens.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub