+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As a teacher I often get asked to tie laces and at times I have done it myself and other times have asked other students.

More so because it tends to happen after lunch and that transition period is often spent with me clearing up playground incidents amongst other students so it's easier for me to ask another child.

In the all time I've done this I've never had a student have a problem either being the person tying or having their laces done.

I do challenge the kids to try it at home if they are from my class. I show them how to do it first and make them try it in front of me - but that's only because I have one or two that haven't nailed it. Then I give them high gives once they've got it down pat! Kids actually feel really proud to independently tie their laces in my experience.

In saying that I don't think it should be expected of me - nor should I expect to get wee on my hands as an early school teacher.... I never have (to my knowledge - haha). But I've also never associated tying laces with getting wee on my hands!!

I do think it's important for them to be taught and learn the skill and unfortunately due to the tight restraints in my curriculum I'm to teach - home is really where it needs to take place.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At our kindy (school based) the children are asked to take their shoes off on arrival and they put them back on just before home time, the teacher and TA help them if they need it, but not willingly. DS1 has Velcro shoes and I have seen him miss out on mat time because he couldn't put his sock on (he can do his shoes).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The teacher isnt there to tie up 20 pairs of shoes. Thats not their job. While im at it, its also not their job to teach a child how to put a smock on. The parents should be teaching this stuff to the kids before they even start school. Once again, all this info was sent out before school started at our school but parents know best of course.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Solarberry For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would never expect the teacher to tie DD's shoes. It is the parents responsibility to make sure the kid can tie his or her own shoes before they start school if you are going to send them in lace up shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    At our kindy (school based) the children are asked to take their shoes off on arrival and they put them back on just before home time, the teacher and TA help them if they need it, but not willingly. DS1 has Velcro shoes and I have seen him miss out on mat time because he couldn't put his sock on (he can do his shoes).
    I didn't know that until today when they mentioned it at the parent teacher meeting!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    That isn't really fair. The fine motor skills that are required to tie a shoe lace often don't develop until six or seven in some, particularly boys. That doesn't mean the parents are shirking their responsibilities anymore than the parent of a child who is still wearing nappies at three.
    I think those parents should send their kids to school in pull ons or velcro shoes until they can tie their own laces. It is unfair on the teacher to have to tie 20 pairs of laces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry in advance... but I have to respond again...and hope I don't cause offence.

seriously! shoe laces? I haven't been a member very long on BH but the amount of threads I've read that really run down teachers is making me think. I have already said I won't touch laces (I'm a teacher)... big deal! there are plenty of kids who will do laces for others and people who will. That being said, I also won't hold a tissue to a child's face for them to blow their nose! Does this make me a bad teacher?
    Just for once (and thanks in advance to those who have been supportive to teachers).... I'd like to see a thread that says how much teachers do.
    Parents these days are so ready to run in to school and abuse the teacher over miniscule things like tying laces/toilet runs/etc etc... but where are all the thanks...like
    thanks for teaching my child to read, write, spell, count, add, subtract, divide, multiply, research, present a speech, paint, draw.... or thank you for helping them with making friends, sorting out bullying, caring for them on excursions or camp, taking them swimming, helping them with their problems.... just to name a few!
    seriously... laces? I mean, I've been a teacher about 15 years and not once have I ever worked in a school where a kid tripped over their lace and broke a leg. (but I have seen a kid break an arm for running on the concrete where the school rule is walking!)...
    lets have a 'thank a teacher' thread...much more happy!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (29-02-2012),GothChick  (29-02-2012),Stiflers Mom  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't know where to begin on how to teach my kids to tie laces.

If the teachers don't teach it, do they at least teach the parents how to teach their kids?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by speckled View Post
    I wouldn't know where to begin on how to teach my kids to tie laces.

If the teachers don't teach it, do they at least teach the parents how to teach their kids?
    How do you think the teachers learnt to tie their own laces? Do you think they teach this stuff at teacher academy? Ask your mum/dad/friends how they taught their kids. Ask google! Ask youtube!

http://www.google.co.nz/webhp?rlz=1C...w=1280&bih=699

There you go, there is even a step by step guide on youtube!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    That isn't really fair. The fine motor skills that are required to tie a shoe lace often don't develop until six or seven in some, particularly boys. That doesn't mean the parents are shirking their responsibilities anymore than the parent of a child who is still wearing nappies at three.
    How can it not be fair that I expect that kids who need extra support ought be supported by the education system (ie as in an aide), so that teachers can do what they are trained and laid to do - how on earth is it not fair that I expect kids who need extra help be supported by the system?

I think you have misread my post