+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In my 14 years in Childcare, it has never crossed my mind that there is wee on the shoes Unless of course I'm changing someone who has had an accident, but then I always have gloves on anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I send my daughter to prep in velcro close shoes so there isnt an issue, and so DD can put her shoes on/off herself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I send DS to school with velcro shoes as he's not yet able to tie his shoes but I couldn't imagine why a teacher would have another student tie the shoes up for fear of getting wee on his/her hands - yet get the other child to get wee on their hands? as mentioned in thread.

I didn't realise that some schools don't allow anything but shoelaces and that's ridiculous if teachers are refusing to help little boys tie their laces!

What if they wet their pants? Are they sent to quarantine?

With kids comes germs and I remember having a germophobic teacher - she was extreme - and in the wrong industry!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppykissesmonsterhugs View Post
    If so, what would you remove from the lower primary curriculum so that these type of skills can be taught?.
    Homework? It's kindy/grade 1... If it could be done when i was in school, why not now? There's really THAT much more for a 4/5 year old to learn now that lace tying cannot be taught?

ETA - I'm not suggesting that parents shouldn't teach them this, however, people don't sed their kids to school so that teachers can scare them into never asking for help.
    Last edited by Turk EnJayDee; 29-02-2012 at 11:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I didn't realize that shoe tying was this big of a problem so yes, in kindy, if the teachers don't have time chasing after the kids tying their shoes then a 10 minute a day lesson on laces I'm sure won't effect their TER score in high school! I agree parents should teach it too but at least in school at you know all kids learn properly (am making a mental
    Note to teach 16 month old DS to tie his sneakers ASAP!)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 29-02-2012 at 10:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that if asked any adult, not just teachers, should do up a child's laces.
    And those saying it would take up too much class time to tie the whole class' laces, if they were tied in double bows the first time, doing it for 25 students should take less than 5 minutes. And then there wouldn't be any time wasted on having to calm down and assess damage on kids who have tripped over their laces.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Back in the day that's exactly what my teacher said to me in grade 1. Mean!!

My friend used to do them up under the desk so I didn't get in trouble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe people don't touch them incase there is wee on them.. the thought never even crossed my mind and I'm a mum of 3 boys who constantly can't aim!
    There's just as much chance of girls having wee on their laces too... what happens if they go to move off the loo and haven't yet finished!? Or puddles on the floor... much of a muchness IMO.
    I like the idea of other kids helping, cause yes I could see how it could benefit.. cause such and such can do it... mum's not being silly after all... I want to be like them - and then learns. I don't however think it's right to make a kid do them cause the teacher doesn't like touching them due to pee!? what about the kids who have to touch the possible pee!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can I ask, why do schools have a no Velcro policy? That's seems strange, or is there something sinister about Velcro that I'm not aware of? Velcro is awesome and would solve all problems lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I remember a thread here stating some schools prefer laces only so children learn how to tie them (because, of course, so many of us who wore sandals still don't know how to tie our laces in our adult years!!!) - but that seems a bit silly if teachers won't assist the ones who can't with doing them back up!