+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i couldnt tie my shoes til year 6,
    no my parents werent to lazy to teach me i just couldnt get it! i then could only tie with bunny ears til year 10 when i finally got the other way.

i am glad i didn't have teachers that were 'too busy' or to disgusted by the idea of re tying a shoe because i would have been stuffed if i did.

in the pre school i worked at we retyed kids shoes several times a day, gross? yes but it's safer for the child

Sent from my T3020 using BubHub

bellalika is offline I'm trying my hardest, please don't ask for more.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I usually ask them to get a friend to help out. I hate tying kids shoelaces. Especially boy shoelaces. If they are wet you know there is a good chance it is wee. Eck. I do tie them if I need to but would definitely prefer not to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow I'm really amazed at the number of teachers on here who refuse to tie a kids laces . That's sad really. If they are wet then wash your hands. If you want to be a junior primary teacher then you have to expect a little wee on your hands every now and then.
    I also don't think it's ok to palm off the job onto another kid that 'can' tie laces. I know my DD would be too humiliated to ask as she has too much pride than to see another child her own age tying her laces.
    Btw, my comments are only relevant at schools where kids are forced to wear lace up shoes at a young age. Otherwise kids shouldn't be sent to school with laces until they can tie them themselves.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a pre-service teacher I tied kids shoe laces all the time because the teacher would say she didn't do laces. I didn't realize it was because there could be wee on them. But tbh it was irrelevant to me and still is - you wash your hands or sanitise them that much anyway.
    If a child is sent to school in laces and they can't do them up then I try to teach them how as I do them (or ask them to tell me how their parents do it if they can remember).

Personally I think it is good too if children can ask someone other than the teacher who knows how to tie their laces for them PP. It teaches them how to interact with their class mates and ask for help which builds a sense of community which is what we need in this day and age. It also teaches the tie-er how to take responsibility and help others. I think it is a lovely thing and should be encouraged.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Wow I'm really amazed at the number of teachers on here who refuse to tie a kids laces . That's sad really. If they are wet then wash your hands. If you want to be a junior primary teacher then you have to expect a little wee on your hands every now and then.
    I also don't think it's ok to palm off the job onto another kid that 'can' tie laces. I know my DD would be too humiliated to ask as she has too much pride than to see another child her own age tying her laces.
    Btw, my comments are only relevant at schools where kids are forced to wear lace up shoes at a young age. Otherwise kids shouldn't be sent to school with laces until they can tie them themselves.

Twenty-two Prep children. Laces-only school. At least half of the class after every play and lunch time would need laces tied. Ditto for assemblies. If I couldn't rely on a few little ones who knew how to do laces to help, then period 3 and period 5 of each day would never go ahead!

These helpers were on my 'Yellow Pages'. The other children knew who they could go to if I was busy and they needed assistance. Every child was listed in our classroom directory alongside job or skill they had. It taught the children to rely on eachother - we are, after all, one big team.

I also directed all my 'helpers' to the classroom sink where the well-utelised pump pack sat.
    Last edited by TimTamsandTea; 28-02-2012 at 23:43.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (01-03-2012),MsTruth  (01-03-2012),Pina Colada  (29-02-2012),sweetseven  (29-02-2012)

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This thread reminds me of three things that always surprised me as a teacher:

1/ That the smallest of oversights somehow had the potential eclipse all of the effort and thought I applied to each child each day

2/That parents often admitted to struggling to keep up with 1/2/3 children, and arrived late/turned up without lunch/sent to school without sport uniform etc and understanding was expected. However, when the roles were reversed (where the responsibility was x 20 plus students) little understanding was shown.

3/That events that caused upset were not always raised with me. As reliable as young children are, they don't always explain an event accurately or have all of the facts at hand.

9. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

alexsmom  (29-02-2012),BaronessM  (01-03-2012),bellalika  (29-02-2012),DaddyLarge  (29-02-2012),Eko  (01-03-2012),Kaybaby  (29-02-2012),Lincolns mummy  (29-02-2012),Melba  (29-02-2012),Pina Colada  (29-02-2012),PomPoms  (29-02-2012),PuppyGuts  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Naw I'm sad for the poor kids that can't tie their laces. I guess I'll start teaching my daughter now as I'd hate for her to be in a situation where she felt she couldn't go to the teacher for help. As for her tying some other kids shoe laces that a teacher wouldn't dare touch I wouldn't be happy with that either!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know when I was in kindy, that is where we were taught to tie our shoes. I remember coming home after finally learningnit and proudly showing mum and dad.

I definately think the teacher was out of line and should have tied your DS's shoelaces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppykissesmonsterhugs View Post
    This thread reminds me of three things that always surprised me as a teacher:

1/ That the smallest of oversights somehow had the potential eclipse all of the effort and thought I applied to each child each day

2/That parents often admitted to struggling to keep up with 1/2/3 children, and arrived late/turned up without lunch/sent to school without sport uniform etc and understanding was expected. However, when the roles were reversed (where the responsibility was x 20 plus students) little understanding was shown.

3/That events that caused upset were not always raised with me. As reliable as young children are, they don't always explain an event accurately or have all of the facts at hand.
    Well said.

And as a primary school teacher I shouldn't expect to get wee on my hands as a PP mentioned.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (29-02-2012),PomPoms  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nooo no teacher should just expect
    to get wee on their hands.

its bad but i think the duty of care falls back on the parents , to make sure they can tie laces or buy velcro shoes.

sent from brain to Iphone to BubHub~ a game of chinese whispers.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

PomPoms  (29-02-2012)