+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You know this whole thread is based on the words of a child. The OP has admitted she hadn't spoken to the teacher yet, so I'm flabbergasted as to how everyone had developed such strong views on this teacher. Over some shoelaces. Which the parent helpers didn't tie up either. Sorry but the more I type it, the more ludicrous it becomes. Shoelaces = nasty, bad, uncaring teacher. I'd being laughing, if it wasn't so concerning.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

naebie  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you really think we are still talking about the OP? Personally I'm now referring to the comments made by some of the teachers on here.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh sorry yes I did think we were referring to the OP as that what the thread is about. Silly me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    You know this whole thread is based on the words of a child. The OP has admitted she hadn't spoken to the teacher yet, so I'm flabbergasted as to how everyone had developed such strong views on this teacher. Over some shoelaces. Which the parent helpers didn't tie up either. Sorry but the more I type it, the more ludicrous it becomes. Shoelaces = nasty, bad, uncaring teacher. I'd being laughing, if it wasn't so concerning.
    I think most people are referring to the teachers who have said they'd never tie a BOY'S shoelaces, not the teacher in the OP.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Adding: the question was "should the primary school teachers tie their shoes for them?"

I don't think it's a teachers job to tie shoelaces. But I do think part of their job is to keep them as safe as possible, which means ensuring children aren't running around all day with untied shoelaces.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The OP made no reference to the teacher teaching kids how to tie shoelaces yet that seems to be popping up everywhere in replies. Do I think teachers should teach kids to tie their shoelaces? Hell no, that's the parent's responsibility. DS is only 20 months and I have no idea when he *should* know how to tie them but seeing as parents of older children who have replied have given response ranging anywhere from 4 to 7, I'll go with that.

Do I think a teacher should help a child tie their laces if they are struggling or don't know how? Yes. But then I think that any adult who is asked for help by a child for whom they are responsible at some level (and you know what, sometimes even those for whom they are not legally responsible) should help them, particularly with something as minnow as tying their laces. While breaking a bone may be far fetched (as a PP alluded to), tripping and hurting themselves isn't whether that's a graze or a knocked out tooth. If a friend's kid asked me, I'd do it. If a stranger's kid in the park asked me, yeah I'd probably do it. So given my view is that any adult should help a kid tie their laces then seeing as teachers fall into that category yeah, I think they should.

That's very different to teaching them how to do it.
    Last edited by Moxy; 01-03-2012 at 09:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think my son's teacher ever tied my son's shoe laces as he always wore them into little stumps. He knew how to tie them, but he CBF. I imagine his priorities lay more in having fun with his friends.

Ahhhh the Internet......what did we do before we had the ability to quibble en masse over trivial subjects.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (01-03-2012)

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twotrunks View Post
    wow.

i think as a pp said, as parents we expect the early years of school to be about caring and nurturing and helping children adjust to a new world... most of us don't expect the focus to be academic, at least not in the first year or two or school. in my experience by grade 2 the focus does change, and so do the teachers. not to say literacy and numeracy aren't important, of course they are. but i think if a survey of parents (outside the restricted bub hub world that is) were done we would find that prep/grade one teachers are expected to be nurturing and give cuddles etc. surely there is a reason why teachers choose to teach these grades rather than others? its not about shoe laces or noses, its about recognising that children's needs at this age are to feel supported, nurtured and encouraged, not dismissed and ignored.If an early years teacher is "cold" they are never going to be respected among parents imo.

Thanks for raising this issue. Let me clarify. The early years are no different to other year levels in primary school. As a Prep teacher, my qualifications are no different to a Year Six teacher, nor are my professional responsibilities. My choice to teach Prep or Year One Is not mine alone rather, the principal has the final word. In making this decision though, you would trust that the principal would choose teachers who have a preference for these year levels. As to why I have a preference for the early years, I can assure you it has little to do with my hugability.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No I don't think it's the primary school teachers responsibility to tie a kids shoe. I got told at prep last year that unless my son could tie his own shoe's could I please supply velcro ones. I'm fine with that, though I did see some kids throughout the year with laces, maybe they could tie them, I don't know. But I do think it's irresponsible on the parents behalf to send their child to school knowing full well they can't tie their own laces. After all going to school kinda starts the whole process off of being independent for our littlies, doesn't it? The old wiping your kids nose should well and truly be over. JMO.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    You are kidding right? What do you think a 'caring' education is? Churning out kids who can read at a level 10 in reception while being disliked by parents and students alike is not a caring education. And I stand by my statement that the first year or two of formal school should be less about the three Rs and more about fostering a love of learning and school.
    I also think teachers should think about the way they treat their class and ask themselves if they would want their child to be treated that way.
    Think about it. Which teachers do you remember from your early years? I know I remember my reception teacher was 'mean'. I didn't want to go to school. My year 3 teacher was wonderful. Mothering, caring and I just wanted to go every single day.

Do I think teachers deserve a medal for doing their job? No. But I don't expect a medal when I am saving lives. Because that's my job. But if a teacher goes above and beyond to make their class feel special then I will give special thanks.

I don't think teachers deserve a medal, parade or national day of recognition for the job they have chosen to do. I think you'd find a simple thank you at the end of the year would suffice for most teachers.

The fact that you think an early years teacher should be the mothering kind does concern me. I am an educator, not a parent and a teacher should reserve the right to ensure that the two are never confused.

I may not hug, but I may console a child with a rub on the back or kind words. I may not wipe a snotty nose, but I may kindly instruct a student on how to do this themselves. I may not change soiled underpants, but I may wait with a child until their parent arrives and gently assure them that all will be fine.

It is possible to provide a nurturing environment for young children without doing those things that are usually associated with parenthood.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

MyLittleStar  (01-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-03-2012)