+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Twotrunks, of course there are teachers out there who don't deserve their title. To suggest otherwise would be nonsense.

For the record, I have wiped noses, tied soggy laces, cleaned up explosive poo, scrubbed vomit off the floor and held the hands of little people whom I knew to be nose pickers.

I've done it, but should it be a general expectation? Why don't teachers deserve to set boundaries? I educate children and ensure that while they are in my care they are happy and safe. This does not mean that I am obliged to treat each child as if they are my own. There has to be a limit on what teachers are expected to do and I don't think it's unreasonable for a teacher to say I don't tie laces or wipe noses.

I know as a Prep teacher, there is an unspoken expectation that physical comfort is something you provide when a child is upset. Fortunately, I give cuddles quite readily. I worked alongside a teacher who did not like cuddling children. After an incident at a sports day one year, I overheard a few parents comment on her 'coldness' and they concluded that she wasn't Prep teacher material. Wowsers. Nevermind that she was the best early literacy and numeracy teacher I had ever worked with but she was caned for her inability to cuddle?

By suggesting that you'd remove your child from the care of a teacher who refused to wipe a nose or tie a shoelace, you reduce the profession to basic babysitting.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimTamsandTea For This Useful Post:

Actuality86  (01-03-2012),Alexander Beetle  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think some of you may have different expectations of what we as parents want and need from an early childhood teacher. Personally, I want my kids to have a happy and nurturing start to their schooling. Tbh,I have taught her to read and do basic maths, she is at a grade 2 level with them already. I want her teacher to reinforce these things but being a good literacy coach isn't the be all and end all. I would far prefer the teacher who blew noses and tied shoelaces to some cold fish who produced good grades.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    I think some of you may have different expectations of what we as parents want and need from an early childhood teacher. Personally, I want my kids to have a happy and nurturing start to their schooling. Tbh,I have taught her to read and do basic maths, she is at a grade 2 level with them already. I want her teacher to reinforce these things but being a good literacy coach isn't the be all and end all. I would far prefer the teacher who blew noses and tied shoelaces to some cold fish who produced good grades.
    Fortunately at our school they manage to be caring and produce good grades.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes same with ours. But it's not easy to find tbh.

TimTamsandTea is offline ...if only all relationships were so perfectly sweet!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had no idea that parents had such a restricted view of what a caring educator is.
    Last edited by TimTamsandTea; 29-02-2012 at 23:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppykissesmonsterhugs View Post
    I had no idea that parents had such a restricted view of what a caring educator is.
    wow.

i think as a pp said, as parents we expect the early years of school to be about caring and nurturing and helping children adjust to a new world... most of us don't expect the focus to be academic, at least not in the first year or two or school. in my experience by grade 2 the focus does change, and so do the teachers. not to say literacy and numeracy aren't important, of course they are. but i think if a survey of parents (outside the restricted bub hub world that is) were done we would find that prep/grade one teachers are expected to be nurturing and give cuddles etc. surely there is a reason why teachers choose to teach these grades rather than others? its not about shoe laces or noses, its about recognising that children's needs at this age are to feel supported, nurtured and encouraged, not dismissed and ignored.If an early years teacher is "cold" they are never going to be respected among parents imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Why didn't the parent helpers that we're there tie his shoes? Why aren't you all criticising them. Jeez, isn't that what parents do? in fact I would expect it more from volunteer parents than a person trying to to run a class. Lazy parents. Honestly I expect more from my volunteer parents, seriously if they can't do one small thing then they just shouldn't be there IMO.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes very dangerous. And I'm sure he was probably tripping on his shoes all day poor lil man

I agree SOMEONE should have tied his shoes. Probably the parent helpers, but since it missed their radar I think the teacher should've done it & then mentioned it to the parent helpers.

No it is not a teachers job, but when your teaching young kids (mainly kindy but also year 1) you quite often have to help the kids with life skills aswell.

The more I think of it, it was pretty nasty of her not to help him. How old is he? 5/6?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nasty? The second poster to call a teacher nasty over a pair of shoelaces. And for the record PP, you can't be 'sure' he was tripping on them all day, you weren't there. You can guess or assume, but not be sure. I am finding this thread both ridiculous and sad.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

naebie  (03-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppykissesmonsterhugs View Post
    You are kidding right? What do you think a 'caring' education is? Churning out kids who can read at a level 10 in reception while being disliked by parents and students alike is not a caring education. And I stand by my statement that the first year or two of formal school should be less about the three Rs and more about fostering a love of learning and school.
    I also think teachers should think about the way they treat their class and ask themselves if they would want their child to be treated that way.
    Think about it. Which teachers do you remember from your early years? I know I remember my reception teacher was 'mean'. I didn't want to go to school. My year 3 teacher was wonderful. Mothering, caring and I just wanted to go every single day.

Do I think teachers deserve a medal for doing their job? No. But I don't expect a medal when I am saving lives. Because that's my job. But if a teacher goes above and beyond to make their class feel special then I will give special thanks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (01-03-2012)