+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Should the primary school teachers tie their shoes for them?

DS1 is in Grade 1 and we are working with him to help him learn to tie his shoes. So he isnt very good at it just yet.

He did swimming today and when I picked him up he shoes were untied. I asked about it and he said that they have been untied since swimming (in teh morning) and my immediate thought was 'How dangerous as its a tripping hazard!!' and 'why didnt anyone help him tie his shoes'?

The parent helpers at swimming didnt help and he asked his teacher to help tie his shoes and her answer was 'Your parents should teach you how to tie your shoes'

WTF??

Surely it is dangerous for the kids to be running around with shoes untied??

Is it policy that they are not allowed to tie kids shoes?

Just want to know as I am going to approach her tomorrow about it.

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son's in reception and hasn't mastered tying his laces yet either, if they come undone his teacher will do them up do dramas though.... I would think it would be a duty of care that someone would have to!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At our school someone helps them. Most of the kids in dd's class (year 3) can tie their laces and could by last year. It's not like every kid will wear lace up shoes and out of the ones who do, they won't all need help, and not all will have laces that come undone at the same time, so teachers/aides/parent helpers won't have lots of laces to tie every day. At swimming they have Prep, 1, 2, 3, and 4 who have lessons at the end of the day so we pick them up in thongs that day. The older kids can all tie their laces anyway.

In short, school teachers, aides, parent helpers, other staff should assist in keeping kids safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cannot believe this! No maybe it is not in the curriculum to teach how to tie up your shoes but there is defintely a duty of care , I work as a kindergarten teacher and most of my day I am constantly helping children fix their shoes and double check before sports or playtime that everyone's shoes are tied, when I was pregnant it was harder for me
    To bend down but I would ask a class mate to help them and show them how, I would never just turn a child away like that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's possible that she may not have realized with so many little kids in her care (even though you say he was turned away). It's probably a very busy time going to swimming and getting changed. Most teachers I know tie up laces (lower primary) so perhaps you need to wait before going in questioning. It's only one day, he's fine. Nothing bad happened and it's only a shoe lace. If it happened consistently and you were worried it's worth asking the question.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

GlitterFaerie  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    aww thats mean but i would
    never touch little boys shoe laces ever!!!

sent from brain to Iphone to BubHub~ a game of chinese whispers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS started Prep last year they told us the teachers wouldn't tie shoelaces,so they had to wear velcro shoes
    He is in Grade 1 now,and has started swimming.Today he wanted to wear different shoes as he couldnt do up the laces after swimming (I have tried to teach him but hes still wwaaayyyy off)
    I think its a bit rough they dont tie laces,but I can kinda understand they don't have all the time in the world to be tying everyones laces everytime they come undone.Having said that it IS a safety hazard!!
    But still rude of the teacher to say what she did!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies I am a year 1 teacher. If a student asks I always tie them but get them to try and tie the other lace with me. I do say that they need to practice at home and to ask mum and dad but my students get a special certificate for learning to tie them as incentive. Unfortunately we don't always notice every child's lace is undone but when we do we ask them to tie them up or help to do them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow that's really slack!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    aww thats mean but i would
    never touch little boys shoe laces ever!!!
    Me neither! And I'm a teacher...
    I'd always ask another child (who was pretty proud to show off their skills) to help out their friend and wash their hands thoroughly afterwards!!!