+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default DD take a bottle....please?

DD is 6 mnths old, and is exclusively breastfed. I'm an attachment parent and therefore rarely leave my baby. Lately though, I've been feeling a bit stressed and tense. We have been apart for two stints; one of 4 hours (before which she had taken two bottles absolutely perfectly) and one of 3, since she was born. I know it's all part and parcel of being a mum and I'm sick of people lecturing me, that this is the path I chose etc. I don't drive so have been feeling a little bit trapped and housebound. I really, really need a timeout. Just for a few hours.

However, the little lady refuses to take a bottle of ebm. She will put it in her mouth but will just muck around, chew on it etc and won't actually latch on and drink. I have tried calling the ABA, the parent helpline, seeing the child health nurse, every bottle and teat imaginable, medicine cup, sippy cup, syringe, spoon etc. And it is just not working. A few people have said, "just leave her, she won't starve, she'll have to drink it eventually". But I'm not comfortable leaving my baby to scream for hours and refuse feeds just for my own personal sanity. It feels selfish.

I have been worrying if she will ever take a bottle..after the 4 hour stint where she screamed and refused it (which was over three months ago). I have been trying to get her to take a bottle of ebm or water at least every two days. And still nothing. I have recently tried the MAM bottles and she LOVED it - she took about 30mls and latched on perfectly...I cried I was so excited. So I went and bought two bottles and have been giving her ebm twice a day and now nothing. I have tried EVERYTHING! I think her not taking a bottle is due to separation anxiety; that she associates the bottle with me leaving. She now comfort feeds at least 5 times a night. I am exhausted and I don't know what to do

Sorry for the incredibly long vent!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Firstly you sound like you've tried pretty much everything so far

Only other piece of advice I've got is to offer the bottle for a feed where she's very sleepy....so her dreamfeed or even overnight? Maybe after that a few times and knowing you're still right there may help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    that's a really good idea! I have tried it many times before with other bottles and no cigar. But she does seem to like the MAM bottles a lot more, so maybe I'll try one tonight when she is asleep tonight! After trying so many things, it does get a bit confusing as to what you've tried with each bottle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not sure if it helps but my DD won't take a bottle from me and will only take a bottle from someone else if I'm not in the room?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does she take it if someone else is feeding her with the bottle? Maybe something to try if you haven't already... Good luck, otherwise if you go and have some me time, could whoever is looking after her bring her to you just purely for the feed only?! Hugs...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry, but I don't have any advice, just sympathy. Neither of my girls would take a bottle, so I've resigned myself to the fact that my 3 month old DS won't be keen to either. My kiddlywinks have rarely been away from me, but when they got closer to a year old and consistently sleeping for a long period overnight I had a bit more freedom- I could give them their last feed for the night and have a couple of drinks, go out with friends, shop by myself, have my hair done, see a movie, etc. It's so exhausting having one (or more) little people seemingly attached 24/7, so time out for yourself is very important. Even small pockets of time between feeds can give you the me time you need to feel human again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you've tried pretty much everything I was going to suggest (different teats/ sippy cup etc). Is it always you trying to give her the bottle? Have you tried getting your OH, or the person you want to leave her with to give her the bottle? I only suggest that because DS won't take a bottle from me, but will quite happily from DH. Otherwise just keep gently trying (I don't agree with letting a baby get that hungry and distressed their only option is to take a bottle, it's unfortunate some people suggest that).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep! I have tried that, but not with these new MAM ones. My partner tried the other day, but I was still in the house...maybe I'll go for a walk around the block or something tonight and get him (or my mum who DD loves to bits) to try.

Yes I'm not comfortable with that. I've heard her distressed like that once before and it's not something I EVER want to hear or see again. People just think I'm too soft on her I think. Sorrrrry for not wanting my child to scream so much she can't breathe properly, let alone drink.

I didn't get a chance to express today, but my very lovely friend is giving me a bottle of her milk in trade for pavlova...a fair trade I think!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried skiping the bottle and going strait to a cup/sippy cup

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your daughter is getting upset, and you don't need her to take ebm straight away, maybe take a break for a week and just put the bottles away.

At 6 months, i would try a cup or sippy cup over a bottle. Give it to your little one to play with, without any pressure to drink from it. In the bath is a good place cos any spills can be contained.

Some breastfed kids just won't take a bottle.

Can you plan an outing for when your dd won't need a feed? Leave the carer with a carrier if bub needs wakes and needs some comfort.

i like this blog http://www.koraorganics.com/blog/liv...-have-a-break/