+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I too hate the crying. We live 35kms from town and every town day I find myself saying, "I HATE TOWN DAYS!!! because at some stage she'll be crying her heart out and there'll be nothing I can do about it because I'm rushing to get from one place to the next before they close. I HATE traffic lights. Sometimes she'll just start to settle from the motion of the car and then we get stopped at traffic lights and she arcs up again.
    I talk to her or active listen her as best I can. As soon as I'm able to, I stop and do her nappy and/or feed her and make sure she's not too hot or too cold. Sometimes that does the trick. Sometimes she is ready for sleep and because she is used to going to sleep in my arms it just doesn't help at all and she ends up crying herself to sleep which breaks my heart.
    With my other two girls we found they had "magic songs" that worked every time. DD1's song was "This old man" and DD2's was "Old MacDonald". Didn't matter how hard they were crying, as soon as we started singing those songs it would stop. (Almost always, anyway.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kbf2plus2 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are not alone! I am pretty sure a good percentage of babies hate the car - I can think of quite a few friends who avoided travel because it was torture - and I totally remember getting upset at the traffic lights for stopping momentum

A few little things that helped me
    - CDs
    - when they get old enough playing with toys seemed to help
    - I had a little light-show thing that played music/lights that attached to the top of the car seat which worked well.
    - My sister's baby was not happy in the car until she was old enough to be turned front on. Then she was suddenly happy to be in the car! Probably not much of a comfort to you when your baby is so young...

But, I think that it is generally normal to avoid travelling whenever possible if your baby is distressed about it! Don't feel bad about that! But of course small trips and essential trips are going to have to happen, but I hope that as your bub gets older it gets better

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitty10 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I stop ASAP & sort them out. Even at almost 3, I still stop ASAP.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TripleTime For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I always stopped and cuddled DS. Even if I had to then drive 5 more minutes, stop and cuddle again. I was late everywhere for many months because DS would always cry until he turned forward facing. DH and MIL and everyone else thought I was ridiculous. I don't care. Obviously if it was on the highway I wouldn't stop and hold up traffic, but if it was safe I would.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    3rd baby, 3rd baby that cries in the car, only thing that works 9/10 times is emergency essence if that doesn't work we stop( obviously if I know she is hungry we will stop ASAP so she can eat).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You sound like a wonderful responsive mama. Good on you. I'd also recommend nursery rhymes and music. It is total BS that leaving a baby to cry doesn't harm them and I found that it certainly made me an unsafe driver. This stage will pass, hopefully before too long! It is definitely safer to have bub rear facing but they do tend to be happier when they can face forward. I don't know if it's true but I think that babies facing backwards can get carsick - they certainly look that way. I also found that once DD got really into books at around 8 months that those little cardboard books with pictures of food or animals would entertain her in the car for ages

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow thanks to each reply guys I've picked up a few tips will give them a go.

Veve is offline Assistant Forum Manager :)
    Winner 2007 - best signature
    Winner 2008/2009/ 2010- naughtiest mod

RG always has to save my butt <3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleTime View Post
    I stop ASAP & sort them out. Even at almost 3, I still stop ASAP.
    nice in theory .. but I couldn't do it .. I would be basically housebound

my boys were both screamers in the car .. it was the whole way (till asleep) EVERY trip .. they hated the capsule, they hated rear facing .. they hated the car

things DID get better when they were older, and forward facing and sitting up more - but they still get car sick (both of them) so long trips (anything over 20 mins really) are still horrid.

I still remember driving from my mums house (40 mins on a good day) and crying most of the way home .. I was trying to drive, while holding his dummy in while he SCREAMED .. I cried pretty much the whole trip myself - I was at my wits end I hated driving, because HE (DS1) hated driving

There are only so many trips you can 'time' with their sleep time

worst thing - I would pull over .. the DS1 would immediately settle - I would calm him , talk to him .. cuddle him etc - put him back in the seat to continue the journey and the screaming would immediately re-start ..

I even went to someone and had the car seats checked over (to check that there wasn't anything digging into the child) .. I tried light up mirrors, music, dummies, and when they were sitting up I would offer food like basic biscuits .. but for us it was STILL hard in the car ...

you have my complete sympathies OP - I used to be so jealous of people who had babies that slept in the car... my boys would only sleep from exhaustion it was heartbreaking

it DOES get better .. but for some kids it just takes time

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Veve For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Cds and singing. Once I had to sing 'da glumph goes the mothereffing frog' about 100 times.

There were occasions I had to keep driving for whatever reason, and it was hard as I didn't let him cry.

I almost had an accident when he was screaming one day as I became distracted. Not fun times.

My son grew out of it, thankfully.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoCo View Post
    I hope I don't get shot down for this thread like I do IRL but I hate my 6mnth old crying so in a nutshell I don't let her cry. I attend to her needs and wants straight away and I love how I can make her happy in a split second.

She is generally a happy baby and only cries to communicate, HOWEVER the CAR can be a different story. Some days she will cry in the car so hard that she starts to cough and choke. It gives me such bad anxiety and its actually stopping me from taking long drives with her.

What do you do when your baby cries like this in the car? Do you pull over? Do you let them cry? I really don't know why some days she does this as its not nappy or food because I always make sure she is clean and full before we leave.

I complain of having no friends but when I get invited out I cancel because I think its all to hard and rather take her to places closer to me.

What do you do? The only advice I have received IRL from a "friend" is crying doesn't hurt them why don't you just chill out This does not help me at all it just makes me feel like a loser of a mother.

Any advice? Oh and do they get better?
    I could have written this 12 mths ago about DD ( who is now 18 mo), I simply didn't go anywhere with her, it was too distressing for both of us. Even still anything over half an hr in the car is a no no. We have a DVD player, nursery rhymes cd( she likes this ) toys and food for every car journey.

I used to feel like we and she was missing out on so much as we NEVER went anywhere but it was too hard!

Hope it gets easier.
    X

19. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)