+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Babies crying in the car - need advice

I hope I don't get shot down for this thread like I do IRL but I hate my 6mnth old crying so in a nutshell I don't let her cry. I attend to her needs and wants straight away and I love how I can make her happy in a split second.

She is generally a happy baby and only cries to communicate, HOWEVER the CAR can be a different story. Some days she will cry in the car so hard that she starts to cough and choke. It gives me such bad anxiety and its actually stopping me from taking long drives with her.

What do you do when your baby cries like this in the car? Do you pull over? Do you let them cry? I really don't know why some days she does this as its not nappy or food because I always make sure she is clean and full before we leave.

I complain of having no friends but when I get invited out I cancel because I think its all to hard and rather take her to places closer to me.

What do you do? The only advice I have received IRL from a "friend" is crying doesn't hurt them why don't you just chill out This does not help me at all it just makes me feel like a loser of a mother.

Any advice? Oh and do they get better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are not the only one that doesn't like it when your bub cries, I really don't like it either. But if I'm in the car, it's actually just tough luck. It's different if I have like an hours drive and she is in hysterics but if I have a short trip to go, then she just has to cry it out I'm afraid.

So don't worry, you are not a bad mother for letting your little one cry for a few minutes in the car

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cuddlz For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your baby is choking, then yes I'd stop... sorry I missed that part

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cuddlz For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS does exactly the same thing. He's 5 months old and always has. I hate going anywhere because it's absolute torture listening to him. I've tried putting toys in his reach and this helped a little bit, but he still has times where he screams as though someone's attacking him.
    I have a few regular "on-the-way" stops to most places , so if he's still crying, I can pull over. I usually just attempt to feed him, calm him and then say "sorry honey but we've just gotta get there!".
    Not much help but I'm interested in responses for you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to elleseetee For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Have you tried music? DD1 really responded well to nursery rhymes, MIL got us a CD and it was overplayed every time we went in the car.
    Another suggestion is talking to her, or even singing to her yourself.
    Perhaps a mirror so she can see you and you can see her?
    If your DH is driving, sit in the back with her.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Like Bell and Bug suggested, we do the CD thing - we've got a Play School sing along one which she likes. I used to sing to her as well which would work sometimes.

I've also got a mirror there which she can see herself and I can turn around and see her.

I also try and make sure she has her Sophie to play with in the back seat.

I'm the same as you LoCo, I don't like to let her cry. I pull over if it's safe to do so. Or if it's not (and DH is driving), I lean over and hold her hand. I also hold her hand at traffic lights etc (we have a very small car).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a stage most babies go through at that age. I remember my son doing this and I was an hysterical mess by the time I got to my destination!

I found talking to them helps heaps, and playing music that they are familiar with or that is fairly 'chilled out' works as well.

You can't shut yourself off from visiting people because you are scared bubs will cry ..... it's likely she will cry, but think about it, how is she ever going to get used to the car if you don't take her in there?

it's hard sometimes it really is

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jsma10 For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cant stand crying and whingeing in the car find it so distracting, so Im another supporter of the playschool CD. Instant silencer. She LOves it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Manny For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we sing, have a light up mirror toy, use toys, if theeres a passenger they sit with bubs.
    we have had to let her cry once, during an 11hr drive which should take 4hrs. the first 8 hrs we stopped every km and resettled her, but it got to the point where dh had been driving for so long, he was exhausted, and the safest thing was just to keep driving while i tried to comfort her

17. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't have advice as my 4 month old does the same and has been doing it since she was a week old! And I have to drive every day to drop my other kids at school.

So I drop and run to minimize getting in and out the car. Today I tried a lullaby CD and that seems to work quite well, also her sisters singing / chatting / holding her.

And always making sure that she's clean and fed before you set off, and not too hot either.

But that's just the one place where we can't be there and they will eventually get used to it... I hope!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sibella For This Useful Post:

LoCo  (28-02-2012)