+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babymay View Post
    Personally I have found lactation consultants just as valuable a resource than child health nurses and think it's a great shame we aren't automatically scheduled to see someone in the weeks/months post birth such as we are with health nurses.
    This is so true! Especially with the first bub, I think it would be the one thing that might increase breastfeeding rates.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the comments. Very interesting to hear the range of experiences from each mum out there.

I went to the breastfeeding drop in clinic thingo that the nurses run in NSW (with the lactation consultants) with DS and I found them excellent. Each midwife or LC I saw with him taught me something different.. just a matter of working out what works with me and I guess, what works with each bub.

Fingers crossed I don't have too many issues with number 2. I'm really hoping my drawn out nipples stay drawn out until August.

But seems like there's no predicting it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was a nightmare I had sore cracked blistered nipples for months, i had low supply issues medication , attachment issues and she had oral thrush to top it off which was also on my nipples ouch so painful I managed to combined feed until 4 and a half months it was absolute hell to say the least, with dd2 I still had the cracked sore nipples for the first few weeks and attachment issues but this time around I had an oversupply (still do) so it was very different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing as this is one of the things that makes me most nervous about TTC #2.

I breastfed DS for 12 months but had lots of issues at the start. First he was jaundiced and sleepy, so wasn't too interested. Then my milk came in and I was blessed with an oversupply so lots of engorgement. Then DS was attaching wrongly so also had grazed, cracked, weepy nipples for weeks & weeks. The idea of going through that all again nearly makes me want to cry even though I know for a fact it does get WAY easier eventually!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing as I'm in the same boat as you OP, except my bub is due in 2 weeks! Eeek!

Breast feeding my DD1 was the most challenging thing I have EVER done. 10 weeks of intense pain, grazed/cracked/bleeding nipples. There were tears on both ends of the boob for a long time But we did get there in the end and we made it to 16 months when she self weaned. Very proud of that considering so many people told me to give up.

I'm really hoping second time is easier but if it's not at least I know that it will get better eventually

Best of luck for bub #2!

*edit* Trina I should have just cut and pasted your post hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by EmmyJane View Post
    Subscribing as I'm in the same boat as you OP, except my bub is due in 2 weeks! Eeek!

Breast feeding my DD1 was the most challenging thing I have EVER done. 10 weeks of intense pain, grazed/cracked/bleeding nipples. There were tears on both ends of the boob for a long time But we did get there in the end and we made it to 16 months when she self weaned. Very proud of that considering so many people told me to give up.

I'm really hoping second time is easier but if it's not at least I know that it will get better eventually

Best of luck for bub #2!

*edit* Trina I should have just cut and pasted your post hehe
    You'll have to report back in a few weeks on how things go with #2, I'll be really curious to hear how you go... fingers crossed that you don't have the same issues as last time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you thought about trying nipple shields? They can be useful for mums with flat nipples. Positioning and attachment are still super important (in fact more so with shields), so best to be shown by midwife or LC how to use correctly, if you think they may help

:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I found feeding DD was easier than DS. With DS I was also learning and getting comfortable just holding a baby let alone making sure everything lined up to get the right attachment. So attachment was easier with DD which is a huge part of the battle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Babymay View Post
    I have breast fed my two with no major problems. DS1 self weaned at 13 months. DS2 is only nine months and has recently all but given up on one side (think I'll end up lopsided but whatevs).

With each bub I had different latching on problems. Each time I saw a lactation consultant and hey presto all was fixed. I honestly can't recommend them enough - but after you've left hospital and those first few hazy weeks are done. Otherwise it just feels 'all too much'.

Personally I have found lactation consultants just as valuable a resource than child health nurses and think it's a great shame we aren't automatically scheduled to see someone in the weeks/months post birth such as we are with health nurses.
    Hey Babymay,
    Can't help but read through the lines on your post - Your bub has given up on one side? Have you considered that your DS may have a misalignment in his spine? My DS1 had great trouble feeding on one side in particular and after a trip to my chiropractor he was fine within a week. Nine months old is a pretty active time in a bubs life of bumps and falls. It may be something to think about and then you wont need to be lopsided! ***Make sure the chiro is suitable for infants though*** Good luck!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had trouble with DD, but Im hoping that by tandem feeding it will be easier