+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Random question about school bells

When i was in school, the schools used a bell or buzzer sound for lunch etc.

I live close to a primary school, and they seem to use excerpts from songs.

Eg. it is 11am, and I just heard 20 seconds of "don't worry, be happy".I can't remember the other ones.

Is this what schoools do now?

(I think about this every time I am home )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD1's school uses bells for everything. I don't know about songs, I like the old fashioned method.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    DD's school uses a bell. There's a school that's KINDA close-ish nearby, and when it's particularly quiet I hear their bell - it's a bell, not a song.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've done prac in heaps of schools some do short music as there bell, some do just a normal bell some dp music as a 10 min warning then bell there all differabt haha !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my primary school used to do music for 5 mins then bell- was always a fun way to end lunch tine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our school does a bell. Music sounds fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm relieved to hear other schools do song as well, as I was worried I was imagining these bursts of 80s and 90s pop music.

they just played another bit of "don't worry, be happy" before. I have to go to work now, otherwise I would listen out for lunch and the 3pm one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was only discussing with DH the other night about this. My DD's preschool last year played Kate Bush's 'Babooshka'! It took me ages to figure out that it wasn't just some random music playing on the P.A system, as I thought it was too cool to be a school bell, but low and behold it was, love it! Mind you, I was the only Mum who knew Kate Bush, much less Babooshka.

This year the school bell is some a musical piece, nothing significant, but really pleasant and modern all the same.

When I was at school it was an electric switch which turned on a 'buzzer' sound or a traditional 'bell' if the buzzer wasn't working for some reason. I love the new 'bells' now, so funky and upbeat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I noticed my daughters school has a buzzer instead of a bell, and I found the sound really unpleasant and am thankful that I dont have to endure it every day. My children haven't complained so hopefully it doesn't bother them.

At a previous school my older children attended, they used an old hand bell. It was the year 7s job to ring it, and my eldest complained that it was so loud and painful ringing right next to her classroom.

I think a soundbite of music sounds much nicer.

PS: My older children's high school didn't have any audio signal at all. They stated that teenagers needed to be responsible enough to keep track of time themselves so they did not have a bell to call them.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 28-02-2012 at 12:04.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The school across the street from me has about 1 minute of warning beeps. It's horrid.

And for some reason, it goes off at midnight every night too.