+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went public with #1 and also went with the midwifery group at the hospital. I saw the same midwife for my appointments, unless she was helping another lady in labour, and then i'd have her buddy midwife (still great). The nurses in the ward were fantastic, and even having to have an emmegency CS I had 2 midwifes, 3 nurses, a doctor and a pead on call to my room when things started getting serious.
    I had my own room with free Foxtel TV, and DH could stay if he wanted aswell (matress on the floor). Food was average to pretty good, but had my own fridge to bring stuff if I chose too. We had a brand new special care unit down the hall from the maternity ward, which my son required and they were all fantastic. The special care nurses even looked after me when I collapsed with mastitis, and made sure I got down to emmergency ok. They even set up a room for me in the special care unit so I could be close with my little man a few days before he came home.
    I've never been private, but could choose to if I wanted but can't see the cost being worth it for me. I had great care and the extra would be for extra comforts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Missemzy View Post
    Moosie The public hospital have a complete different wing to the general public. The two different hospitals I stayed at had high security measures in place to keep the dodgies away from new mothers and babies.

Even when I left my room and went for a walk I never came across a " undesirable" person. All the mothers were in their rooms, looking after their newborns or resting.

I got a high level of care in the public system. Had midwives always coming in checking up on me, seeing if I needed anything. Or if I rang the buzzer there were there straight away.

Most hospitals now have private rooms for women and their babies. Its only ever if its a busy time women get stuck in an over flow ward (PRIVATE OR NOT!!) Even then as women leave you get moved into your own room.
    I'm glad you had such a positive experience, as did I for the most part. The antenatal ward I spent my stay in was in an enormous hospital with dedicated antenatal and postnatal wards, but it did not protect me from exposure to undesirable folks. One night I was terrified to leave my room as a mother of a patient in my ward was abusing the hell out of the midwives at the front desk. No security came to get her, I was told that they 'calmed her down' and let her stay (for the record, she did this about 3 times). I was disgusted that this woman was allowed to stay, especially considering her daughter (who was also a maniac) was in a shared room. Also when I would take my daily strolls around the hospital, I would see a lot of feral types. Lots of Mums leaving their newborns in their little trolley cribs in the foyer while they smoked durries outside.

In both the antenatal & postnatal wards there are a number of private rooms, but there are plenty of mums in shared rooms too.

I guess I'm trying to say that not all hospitals are the same. Private rooms in public hospitals are a luxury and I don't think anyone should assume they will get one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow thanks for the replies everyone! I always feel it's a 50/50 choice between many people that I know of. Most of colleagues/girl friends went public and out of many times i visited them, I had never seen them sharing the room with another patient. Well, they were in a shared room, but the bed next to them was fortunately empty.

At first I was hesitant going public because two main reasons:

1) Queueing up and waiting to see a Doctor available and may see different doctors on every visit which would leave me clueless. I am just afraid Im not getting the best service.

2) shared rooms - never share rooms with people before, so not sure if it's a nice thing to do. Maybe the good thing is that i get to have a companion lol...

Well, I am not over 35 yrs of age (the age where there's higher risk of prgnancy) and maybe *fingers crossed* I'll have smooth pregnancy/delivery too, so I don't really need those extras that private hospitals have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done both. My first was private, and the experience was excellent but expensive. The pros: had a great ob who I saw all the time, I had a complicated birth (placental abruption) resulting in emergency c/s which happened super fast, I knew I was in very capable hands the whole time and the after care was excellent. I had my own room, bathroom, fridge etc and the midwives were lovely and helpful. Cons: expensive!
    The second time was public as we moved to a large regional centre that only offers public maternity services. On the whole the experience was good. Cons: saw a different Dr or midwife at each visit (had to tell my history many times), when I was in labour (had Vbac) the delivery suite was so short staffed that the one and only midwife had to assist in caesarians, leaving my husband and I alone (with the instructions if we really needed someone to pop down the corridor to maternity ward). We were ok, but if things went pear shaped, my husband would of had to leave me and go searching, not very ideal... Anyway, it all ended up ok, the bub was delivered by the reg, who was nice and seemed capable. I had a room to myself after which was good but certainly not guaranteed. A friend of mine had to share with a young mum who sweared constantly, had many friends and family visiting at all hours, and all together, and constantly nipped out to smoke. It truly is an individual experience, and while I have outlined the cons on the whole the experience was good and I'll do it again (I'm pregnant with third). Pros: free! I didn't spend a cent.
    good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I have had both good and bad experiences - as the ladies above have said, I guess it is different between hospitals, and then also between staff. I attended my local hospital for antenatal care in my first pregnancy (our 12month waiting period hadn't ended) and towards the end, ended up going to the bigger hospital an hour and a half away as I had a low placenta. We decided to give birth at the bigger hospital because I wasn't entirely happy with our local one. Unfortunately, we lost our little girl at 37 weeks - the local hospital had to deliver the bad news after I noticed she hadn't moved all day and then we went to the bigger hospital to deliver. I know our circumstances probably got us better treatment, but we got a room to ourselves, with a double bed so my partner could stay (he also got given meals) and we had one on one with senior midwives throughout my labour. (This hospital has a brand new maternity ward - only opened in July last year, so everything was top notch). This time, we are now classed as high risk and get absolutely top care by the head doctors. wE see the same doctor each time and I get all the scans I want, I have the head docs direct phone number and I also have the private mobile phone number of the local hospitals doctor. So, although our private health cover has now kicked in, we are staying public and are happy to do so. The only negative that we still have is appointment waiting times... I've learnt to take a book, phone - so I can play angry birds and get on facebook, and also a jumper as it can get very cold after a while!!! Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey bunnymum,

It really depends on the specific hospital you're considering. Public hospitals vary so much.

I haven't given birth there yet, but the public hospital that I have been going to is absolutely brilliant. It's slightly out of area for us (half an hour drive - I don't consider that far at all though).

I am going through the midwife clinic because my pregnancy has been uncomplicated so far. If I had health issues, they'd be lining up my appointments with doctors instead. Since I picked Saturdays for my appointments, I've seen the same midwife for most of the visits, and always get in on time - no long wait. Also, they take comprehensive file notes so I haven't had to repeat myself when I have a different midwife.

Every room is a private room with ensuite and bath, except for one double room. They have their own fridge as well, so if I don't like the food I can bring my own.

I feel confident in the hands of the midwives, but if complications arise, an OB will be around to help. Considering they usually jump in right at the end anyway, I don't mind that he/she will be a stranger.

The whole thing has impressed me so much, and the fact that it's free is amazing. All that money can be put towards our future now.

My suggestion to you would be to get some opinions on the specific hospital that you are considering - I can rave on and on about my own hospital, but they are all different. It's not so much a matter of public vs private in my opinion, but "this hospital" vs "that hospital".

Also, it may have been mentioned already - but you may be able to do shared care with your GP. That way you are sure to see the same doctor

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmel For This Useful Post:

moppet  (12-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I had an unplanned pregnancy, and although I have paid for private health insurance for the last 6 years for myself... I am not covered for this pregnancy!! What on earth was I paying all that money out for?

I am also worried, I had a private obstetrician the first time, and delivered in a private hospital. This time, I have no choice! I feel annoyed to say the least. Pregnancy is not a terminal illness, and you pay a majority of money out of pocket anyway when you go private, but I at least want that choice. 12 month waiting periods for pregnancy is ridiculous! I could understand 6 months but 12 months... ridiculous!

I will fight this for all pregnant women to at least have the choice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've only ever had bad experiences with public - it was my reason for getting PI for bubs 2 and 3 and could never contemplate cancelling the insurance. I find the benefits of having it far out weigh the negatives. Take for example when I had gallstones and would have had to wait 2 years to get my gallbladder out in a public hospital yet had it done in a little over a week at the private, or when I cut my hand open and rather than having a general surgeon repair it a plastic surgeon done it. The list goes on and on - yes it costs - and at times it hard to pay but I always do because for peace of mind.... It's worth it