+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    People on TFNs get paid because they are employees. If companies don't pay employees they have bigger problems than Fair Work - it's a red flag for insolvent trading.

Your husband's invoices would be treated much the same as any other invoice for a service rendered. They go through various checks and approvals before being submitted for payment. That can take time, especially when people are busy.

It's the downside of being self-employed, particularly if you only have one client.

I wouldn't send a threat for legal action unless I was genuinely intending to follow it through and prepared to wear the loss of the client.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, I know what checks they have to go through to get paid, the site engineer has signed off on all the timesheets. The woman who I send and email the invoices to says she has already done all the data entry and sent them up to accounts, ready to be paid. Sometimes he gets paid every week, but sometimes (like now) he doesn't, even though he submits his invoices every week.

I would be prepared to take it further, but my husband is reluctant, but I still would like to contact a solicitor to see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can the lady you send invoices to give you a contact in the accounts payable area so you can check why the inconsistency in payment times?

It's hard when you don't know when to expect payment, especially with BAS due etc, but threatening legal action does have significant potential to backfire and impact the work your husband gets from them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Can the lady you send invoices to give you a contact in the accounts payable area so you can check why the inconsistency in payment times?

It's hard when you don't know when to expect payment, especially with BAS due etc, but threatening legal action does have significant potential to backfire and impact the work your husband gets from them.
    I asked her last week for an email address of someone in accounts. She emailed back and said that she has marked the invoices as urgent up to accounts and her only other advice is to speak to site engineer. My husband is due to submit another invoice tonight, so I might ask again then.

Thanks everyone

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't know if there is much a solicitor could tell you, unfortunately, as it will come down to a commercial decision as to whether you want to get tough (and potentially compromise your relationship) with the company.

If there was any concern as to the company's solvency, I would demand the money immediately though.

My fil is a contractor to a slightly dysfunctional council, and he seems to be the last to get paid as well, as they don't owe him the same obligations as employees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well one invoice was paid this afternoon without me having to ask again

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you know what your husband's terms for payment are (which should be listed on the invoice)? 14 days without payment doesn't sound like a stretch as most invoices have a term of 14 days net but a lot of companies work on a 30 day net cycle as well. It's important to find out to avoid embarrassment. If your husband is getting his invoices paid weekly then that's fantastic. And if he's reluctant to act just yet then I would refrain from taking any action at all until he gives you the go ahead to do so. Unless you are or have a vested interest in the business, they don't legally have to engage with you at all.