+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MyPossum View Post
    I'd be interested to know who wrote the article?
    Episiotomy Reviewed by the BabyCenter Medical Advisory Board
    Last updated: December 2011

http://www.babycenter.com/0_episiotomy_165.bc?page=1

Not taking this article as gospel but there are so much conflicting information about epi's and their need/ use.

I guess the best thing to do is massages or epi no in wanting to avoid either another epi or tear.. ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an episi and ventouse with my DD.

When it came time to push with my DS I was begging my midwife to make the cut as I was scared of tearing! She'd said it's better to tear and that she'd cut if it looked like it would be a large tear.

In the end I did tear, but only very slightly and my recovery was much quicker/better than when I had the episi.

You never know, you may not tear at all with your next bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had quite bad 3rd degree tearing with DS1. Took 45min to stitch and recovery was very very painful.

DS2 had 1st degree tear - a couple of stitches that I didn't feel and didn't even know where they were afterward.

I think I pushed too hard and too fast the first time which caused the tearing. The second I controlled the pushing much more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an episiotomy (forceps) with Dd1.

With dd2 I was close to tearing. OB/MW were saying how white and thin my scar was looking. So I had major pushing coaching as dd2 crowned. They not only told me when to push and nit to, they also manually stretched me to create more room up top for dd to come out. All in all, my pushing stage was 28mins. I didn't tear but had some serious bruising all up one side of my vagina had took about 5-6 days to go down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to add to all the above posters, the area around the healed epi may be less elastic due to scarring (perineal massage, anyone!). The answer to your Q would also depend upon where the tear originates, in other words, if you begin to tear towards the vag or towards the anus. I had an epi for a completely different reason ~ they just had to get him out real quick. Like real quick.

Good luck, hopefully no epi and no tear for you this time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm worried about having an epi second time round too! I had a lot of trouble with my epi, with stitches tearing and none of my middies would listen to me.
    I heard that the scar tissue isn't as bad down there anyway because of how vascular it is and the amount of blood flow!
    Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder if I would get it this time. I do hope not.

With DS1 he was only 2.88kg but I had a natural tear. It took a while to heal and I got infection and took even longer to heal.

Does pelvic floor exercise help with preventing an episiotomy?

Is it better to have a natural tear than to get a cut by OB?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default First birth had episiotomy, subsequent births is it better to tear or another epi??

I think it would depend on where the episiotomy was. Tears usually go along the path of least resistance and tend to heal much better than episiotomy. BUT a epi us better than a 4th degree tear.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default First birth had episiotomy, subsequent births is it better to tear or another epi??

I had one with my first son he was 4.9 kilo born so naturally I was scared the 2nd time.. But nope I only ended up with a couple of stitches..