+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First birth had episiotomy, subsequent births is it better to tear or another epi??

I've been doing alot of research of episiotomy, I was just wondering with subsequent births is it better to tear or have another episiotomy??

Ive been going through alot of research and from my understanding because I had the epi for my first birth I am at risk of having a third or fouth degree tear for subsequent births because of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I haven't researched but my ob told me that me having had an episiotomy during my first birth, doesn't mean I am more likely to either tear or have another episiotomy.. Maybe I'm just naive and like to believe him if you've found otherwise?

Thanks
    Reviews
    First (6lbs)I had an episi and tore (third degree), second and third (both 9Ibs) no episi and didn't tear with either of them.Guess I was lucky?
    Last edited by magic star; 27-02-2012 at 16:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first birth i had epi DD1 was 9poundone, dd2 didn't have a epi and had a 2nd degree tear which i let heal naturally and she was 10poundOne

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My OB told me its better to tear than have an episiotomy.
    I had an episiotomy (ventouse) for my first birth, 2nd degree tear for my 2nd and 1st degree tear with my 3rd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did not tear for my first.

I had an episiotomy with my second (breech).

The next five I did not tear with either.

I did have minor grazing with some (most?) of them, but no tearing.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 27-02-2012 at 16:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS (#1) was 4.4kg and I had an episiotomy/ventouse for his birth. With DD (4.2kg) I was more active and gave birth standing up (squatted right at the end) and only got a second degree tear, despite her birth being very fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a portion of the article..

"Women who have an episiotomy tend to lose more blood at the time of delivery, have more pain during recovery, and have to wait longer before they have sex without discomfort. An episiotomy also increases the risk of infection, and a recent study showed that getting an episiotomy for a first vaginal birth is linked to an increased risk of tearing in the next birth." Babycenter

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im hoping to neither tear or episi this time (after an emergency episi and ventouse with DD)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MumDadBoyandGirl View Post
    Just a portion of the article..

"Women who have an episiotomy tend to lose more blood at the time of delivery, have more pain during recovery, and have to wait longer before they have sex without discomfort. An episiotomy also increases the risk of infection, and a recent study showed that getting an episiotomy for a first vaginal birth is linked to an increased risk of tearing in the next birth." Babycenter
    I'd be interested to know who wrote the article?