I just posted the same thing on the general "Pregnancy and Birth" section, but thought I'd also put it on here for some "Canberra-specific" input.
We moved to Canberra from Canada last August and are on temporary resident visa - therefore ineligible for medicare. We do have private insurance but there is a 12 months waiting period for maternity care. Here are my questions:
1. How much does it cost to see a doctor or midwife (preferred) during pregnancy?
2. How much does it cost to get blood test and ultrasound done?
3. Is it possible to deliver at home? (my first one was a home birth by a midwife, and I loved it!)
4. Specific to Canberra, is there only 1 birthing centre, that is at the Canberra hospital?
5. How much do private midwife cost?
6. Anything else I should be aware of, especially without medicare.
Thanks in advance for any info/advise! :-)