+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds terrible, imo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    Dislike. Acronyms are not names IMO.
    Agreed.

Not a fan at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Omg why is everyone saying its disrespectful? HOW is it disrespectful? I have already asked this question and no one has answered. I am genuinely interested to know why.

Surely naming the most previous thing in you life after those who fought for your rights is not disrespectful!! Surely it means the parents respect and appreciate and honor those who have fought by giving such a name to a child.

It baffles me to understand how that's not respectful!

Who knows maybe that child will grow up and fight for his country?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

jake's mum  (27-02-2012),RainbowSky  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berrie View Post
    yeah, definitely no.

It reminds me of a person I used to know who named her dog Lakota ... 'after the trail'. I know, right?
    Hehe that's great...

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    Omg why is everyone saying its disrespectful? HOW is it disrespectful? I have already asked this question and no one has answered. I am genuinely interested to know why.

Surely naming the most previous thing in you life after those who fought for your rights is not disrespectful!! Surely it means the parents respect and appreciate and honor those who have fought by giving such a name to a child.

It baffles me to understand how that's not respectful!

Who knows maybe that child will grow up and fight for his country?
    To me, it is a collective name bestowed on a group of men from two nations, many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice. The name was not given, it was earned.
    You are quite right, he could grow up to fight for his country, he could just as easily hate the name all all that it stands for and be arrested for urinating on the eternal flame - that is yet to be determined.

I just don't like it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

SassyMummy  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    To me, it is a collective name bestowed on a group of men from two nations, many of whom made the ultimate sacrifice. The name was not given, it was earned.
    You are quite right, he could grow up to fight for his country, he could just as easily hate the name all all that it stands for and be arrested for urinating on the eternal flame - that is yet to be determined.

I just don't like it.
    You make a really good point there

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I just asked Dad what he thought ( he was in Vietnam, his dad was in WW2) he said it doesn't bother him , he does not think its disrespectful and says one of the reasons they fought was to keep this country free to choose these kinds of things and if they like it as a name good luck to them!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

RainbowSky  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think everyone has the right to name their child what they want... BUT we really need to think about that name they will have forever, think baby, think school (remember kids can be nasty), think teens, think professional adult. So yes, choose names as you please.
    Personally I don't like it, but it's not my bubba!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's disrespectful. Quite the opposite actually. I think it is a lovely gesture of respect and appreciation to the ANZACs.

I personally wouldn't use it as a first name but would consider it for a middle name, especially if my child was born on ANZAC day.

There are certainly a heck of a lot more disrespectful and unsuitable names out there imo..

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a serving defence force member. I think most members would be honoured if you named your child in honour of those great men.
    But don't forget, there were many more than just the anzacs. You could use many names that evoke that respect and honour without picking a name that might lead to teasing by other kids.

ETA: Also, I find it interesting that so many civilians say it's disrespectful. Reminds me of people who tut-tut the shenanigans of children at rememberance services. Those kids are who we serve for. I had a hard time keeping a parade face when a little boy started marching up and down in front of us last anzac day. It was gorgeous, but a few mums fouled his parents for being disrespectful. Sad, we loved it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Last edited by Eko; 27-02-2012 at 20:30.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (27-02-2012),RainbowSky  (27-02-2012)