+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Self settling gone with wrap - pls help

DS is nearly 6mths and used to be a fantastic self settler. I'd put him in his Wrap Me Up swaddle and within 5mins he'd be asleep without any help from me usually.

These past few weeks, I've been transitioning from the wrap to a normal sleeping bag as he's starting to roll. I've finally got him sleeping with his arms out and he even sleeps past the first sleep cycle on his own now which is great.

HOWEVER it's now taking me forever to get him to sleep initially every time I put him down.

I've tried leaving him but after 45mins he still isn't asleep and then ends up over tired & grumpy. I am now forced to rock him to sleep, which can take anywhere from 5-20mins. I'm concerned this is now going to become a sleep association which has to be done for every sleep.

Is this normal when going through a transition? Any advice on how to get my good self settler back pronto?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you thought about trying sleepy wings? I've never used them but they might help if he needs his arms semi-restricted to self-settle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks - I've never heard of them! Would it still be safe if he rolled over with them on though? The reason I've removed the wrap is so he doesn't get stuck on his face if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was transitioning from wrap to sleeping bag (DD had started to roll), I would put her in the sleeping bag then lay her on her wrap in the cot and wrap just her arms. Then, when she was asleep I would unwrap her arms. I eventually wrapped her looser and looser until it was just lying over her, like a sheet.

We still have the wrap, it's like a security blanket she sucks on to get herself to sleep.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to curlyhead21 For This Useful Post:

Pesca77  (28-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Thanks - I've never heard of them! Would it still be safe if he rolled over with them on though? The reason I've removed the wrap is so he doesn't get stuck on his face if that makes sense.
    Sorry pesca, thought I'd replied to this I'm pretty sure with sleepy wings he'd still have enough movement to push himself back onto his back. My daughter was in a wrap me up for a while after she started rolling and she had enough freedom of movement in that to roll herself back over. I think it's only when their arms are tightly wrapped that it can be a bit dangerous.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, We had the same thing with DS a few weeks ago when we went cold turkey from wrapping to sleeping bag. There were a few bad days, so I feel you pain, but thankfully he is now back to self settling and is actually sleeping longer than before.:-)

I found that him being sleepy and really calm before being put down really helped as he felt ready for sleep. We also follow the same routine every time to put him down. So, now we do this: walk quietly to bedroom, say bye bye to baby in the mirror, bye bye to sunshine when I close the blind, put on relaxation cd, put on sleeping bag, pick up and have a cuddle. To start with I cuddled until just about asleep and then put him down earlier and earlier each time. Now we just cuddle for a few minutes and usually he goes down ok.

Hope there is something in there that might help you.
    Last edited by ilovehats; 07-03-2012 at 14:57.