+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Austudy or family tax benefit

I'm a stay home on family benefit with centrelink.

I'm thinking of going back to study. Do I need to apply for austudy? how much is austudy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Austudy is income tested so I suggest that you have a look at the online estimators on the centrelink website. You put in your income/assets and it can give an estimate of rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on how old your children are and your income will determine which is better for you but most times you are better with FTB rather than austudy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I work in a team at the Department of Human Services that respond to enquiries about Centrelink on social media sites like this one.

Your eligibility for a student payment, and the amount you might be paid, depends on your personal circumstances, including income and assets and your course details.

The online estimator might help you get a better idea about what payments and services are most helpful to you and your family. You can enter your details and compare different scenarios here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...ine-estimators

To receive a student payment from Centrelink you need to be in full-time study in an approved course at an approved institution and be completing course requirements to maintain this status. Your course provider can usually advise you of whether the course is approved.

There's more info about student payments on the Human Services website here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...relink/austudy
    You can give the youth and students line a call on 13 2490 or you can have a chat to someone about your family payments by calling 13 6150.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If your spouse works, then you probably won't be eligible (same as the dole, parenting payment etc).

My didn't work for 18 months of his 4 year degree and he wasn't eligible for anything as I worked.

The income test is on the Centrelink web site.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently studying and found that the tax benefit was better than austudy payments

ETA: that's for our family circumstances though, best to get onto the website and check it all out with your info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I worked out I'm better off on my current family benefit from centrelink.

So if I don't want austudy do I have to tell centrelink im doing a course?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on what family payments you're receiving it may be beneficial to let Centrelink know about your studies, in case you are eligible for any exemptions or one off payments.

You should contact the parents and families line on 13 6150 to discuss your situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    will your children be going to daycare or some type of care? If they do or will be I would be telling centrelink because if you work or study more than 15hrs a week then you get CCB & CCR

You may also be eligible for education bonuses. I never got austudy from c/link when i was studying as I was on FTB but i got some extra tax things for textbooks & different things