+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Selling house... property appraisal, how clean?

So, this may sound like a really stupid question, but I've never done it before...

How clean does your house have to be for a real estate agent appraisal? We have the agent coming on Wednesday and obviously I was going to clean the bathrooms, kitchen, vacuum, mop, and generally tidy up... but I wasn't going to like clean walls, or clean the oven or windows or anything yet??? But do I need to?

Many thanks.

A.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are in the process of getting our house ready to list for sale and I will not be getting an appraisal until we have it looking the same way that it will for home opens (re-painted, a few rennovations, styling of each room, cleaning, landscaping).

I appreciate that this may be going overboard for an appraisal but we really need to get as high a price as possible.

It would not hurt to do the walls etc as it will then be ready for the home opens but I doubt that it would make any difference to the appraisal (home open yes it would make a difference to me as a buyer).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsTruth For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Present it to the best level you can 'as is' and then ask them if it is worth getting walls cleaned or painted for the sale. They will be able to give you a good idea of what the market expects on your area and with properties like yours.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We prepared our house the same as if it was an open house, I'm not sure if it truly makes a difference but if they love it as much as you do then I sometimes think they put more effort in to selling it as it speaks for itself. The real estate agent advised us of some added changes we could make. I don't know if it is really necessary but we presented to them the same as we did open houses, for the photo shoot etc so carried the consistency all the way through.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps!

At this stage its mainly a come out, give us an idea of anything we need to 'fix up' and an idea of what it could be worth... `

Thanks
    Reviews
    If its just for the appraisal & no pics as of yet then that should be fine as the real estate will mainly be looking at the plan, house size, yard size & general info. I say do what you can then have them look through

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a real estate agent and in all honesty when I am doing an appraisal all I am looking at is floor plan, room sizes, specific features (heating/cooling etc) its my job to see past toys on the floor a few hand prints on the wall. Save your big cleaning efforts for when you decide to go onto the market because thats when its going to count (and of course make sure it looks great when you have your photograhpy done for your marketing campain)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelymum View Post
    I am a real estate agent and in all honesty when I am doing an appraisal all I am looking at is floor plan, room sizes, specific features (heating/cooling etc) its my job to see past toys on the floor a few hand prints on the wall. Save your big cleaning efforts for when you decide to go onto the market because thats when its going to count (and of course make sure it looks great when you have your photograhpy done for your marketing campain)
    I love you!!! LOL... Thank you!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to babylove81 For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we were "interviewing" agents to sell our house, our house looked like a bombsite!!!

DH had decided that we needed to do a big sort out and declutter & everyone knows that to do that properly you need to pull it all out to see it!! There were boxes and piles of crap everywhere!

The agents didn't care. We made it very clear we would do the right thing for photos/showings etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When we were renting someone came to appraise the house. I had it "inspection clean" which is as clean as normal but I did a few extras like weed the gardens, clean the oven (was due that week anyway) didn't clean walls.

But seriously she was there for 2 minutes. Walked through then left.