+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breaking a rental lease!

I searched the forum and couldn't find it so forgive me if this has been asked before!
    Just wondering if anyone has broken their rental lease and if you had to buy out of it (and how much) or if you had to find a new tenant?

Our lease ends June 14 but I'm looking into moving before that so just wondering if it's worth it! Obviously I know every real estate is different but just wanted a bit of an idea!
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there.

DH and I broke lease in 2010 when I was made redundant, we did the right thing as soon as we found out and contacted the real estate and told them we could not afford the rent on one income and to start getting things rolling on getting a new tenant - we ended up having to pay rent until another tenant was found (this is normal) advertising costs $150 and another 2 weeks rent as almost like a punishment for leaving early, all up it cost is around $1800 (there went my pay out!!)
    Our estate agents were very very dodgy and have since shut down so I doubt you would end up paying as much as we had to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You are responsible for paying rent until your lease is taken over by the new tenant. Any advertising costs. And the re-let fee which is the equivalent of 1 weeks rent (the owner usually pays this to the real estate agent when they find new tenants and the end of a tenancy, but if you break lease then you have to pay this).

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done it twice.
    It depends on what state your in as to their exact rules. But in most cases it's you have to pay a break lease fee, the cost of re advertising and in some cases rent until someone has moved in. The real estate has to be actively looking to put someone in and fast though.
    You can also apply through the tribunal to get out for certain circumstances ie financial hardship etc as well.
    It's fairly costly to break a lease! Best thing to do though would be to look up the residential tenancies mob in your state, as their websites usually have the information on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pina Colada View Post
    You are responsible for paying rent until your lease is taken over by the new tenant. Any advertising costs. And the re-let fee which is the equivalent of 1 weeks rent (the owner usually pays this to the real estate agent when they find new tenants and the end of a tenancy, but if you break lease then you have to pay this).

Hope that helps
    The lease break fee can vary from agent to agent. Where I work the tenants have to pay a lease break fee of 2 weeks rent on top of advertising, rent until tenants are found etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    The lease break fee can vary from agent to agent. Where I work the tenants have to pay a lease break fee of 2 weeks rent on top of advertising, rent until tenants are found etc.
    Ah okay, thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    I searched the forum and couldn't find it so forgive me if this has been asked before!
    Just wondering if anyone has broken their rental lease and if you had to buy out of it (and how much) or if you had to find a new tenant?

Our lease ends June 14 but I'm looking into moving before that so just wondering if it's worth it! Obviously I know every real estate is different but just wanted a bit of an idea!
    Thanks in advance
    Do you absolutely HAVE to move? It can be very costly and the way you say "wondering if it's worth it" sounds like perhaps you don't really need to move. Correct me if I'm wrong though, that's just how I read it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you absolutely HAVE to move? It can be very costly and the way you say "wondering if it's worth it" sounds like perhaps you don't really need to move. Correct me if I'm wrong though, that's just how I read it.
    Well I've just got a new job that's 3 hours away from where we currently live(so 6 hours travel a day) it's only 3 days a week but it's obviously tiring and I leave early and get home late but I can probably keep it going until the lease is up if I have to. If it was only a couple hundred dollars I'd just pay it but it sounds like it might be a lot more expensive and not worth it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VeganMum View Post
    Well I've just got a new job that's 3 hours away from where we currently live(so 6 hours travel a day) it's only 3 days a week but it's obviously tiring and I leave early and get home late but I can probably keep it going until the lease is up if I have to. If it was only a couple hundred dollars I'd just pay it but it sounds like it might be a lot more expensive and not worth it!
    Ahh, ok well that is a fairly good reason! Best thing to do would be to go have a chat to your property manager (make an appointment), see what they say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh, ok well that is a fairly good reason! Best thing to do would be to go have a chat to your property manager (make an appointment), see what they say.
    Yeah I've never even considered ever doing it before as I hate moving! But yeah my partner is also out of work but will be able to pick up something really quick if we move to the city so it'll work out best for all of us, hopefully I can either deal with the traveling for the rest of the lease or I have a really nice property manager who won't charge us the earth haha!