+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS had avocado slices and steamed whole broccoli as his first food at 6 months, by week 3 he was eating things like steamed salmon flaked into small pieces , whole egg pancakes , quinoa, goat yogurt, and i put garlic , ginger and fresh herbs ( and still do!) in all his food, we also did BLW so by 8 months he ate what we did
    P.s - if you wait until 6 months you don't need too purée anything, especially meat- my DS had organic beef mince ( in bolognese ) at 7 months and a lamb cutlet at 8 months ( he gummed off the meat and gnawed on the bone!)
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 28-02-2012 at 21:15.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

GlitterFaerie  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    great article

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Rice cereal is basically.... ground rice. Lol. I think that some people dislike it because they think it is highly processed, or that is something that it really isn't. You can make it yourself at home pretty easily, or buy it pre-done.

Rice and rice cereal is a very common first food in many cultures around the world. Many cultures absolutely DEPEND on rice as a staple in their diet. So it is common & normal in many cultures for rice to be a first food. Perhaps because we don't eat as much rice in Australia, some people also dislike it because they don't like rice themselves.

I agree with you... it's bland, mixes easily with the baby's normal milk, and is an easy first food if that's the way you want to go
    It IS highly processed though.

"When flour is refined to make cereal, the grain’s most nutritious part is removed. The flour essentially becomes sugar.

As white rice or flour turns into sugar in the body, it raises blood sugar and insulin levels. Worse, babies who consume highly-processed white rice or flour may become accustomed to this unhealthy diet in their older years".
    http://pachamamas.wordpress.com/2011...thy-baby-food/

http://parentingsquad.com/first-food...-for-your-baby

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...lth&id=7930723

Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFaerie View Post
    That was an interesting read.

So what was your babies first mouthful? I'm guessing very watered down purred meat? What order did you introduce things?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Mum of 4yr boy, nearly 3yr boy & last but not least 5 month girl.

We do BLW - first food was avocado for both. DS2 loves avocado, sweet potato, broccoli florets, pear, banana and heaps of others. I cut it up for him as finger food (Except banana - I just peel and basically give him half).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did some google research last night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Opps!!
    Ok so research last night, and it makes sense. I have never been a purée to the point of extinction so I can see myself doing this method.

Most of your first foods were my 2nd & third ones... Straight after rice cereal.

My only issue is sometimes our meals are not suitable for a baby. I'm very conscious of keeping to no salt & sugar. The boys do get processed food ( like jar pasta sauce) more than I like. Of course having to feed bub could be our incentive to eat healthy food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used rice cereal as a very first food simply because it's gentle on tummys that have never digested anything but milk. Probably won't use it next time though as I found BLW much easier!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFaerie View Post
    Opps!!

My only issue is sometimes our meals are not suitable for a baby. I'm very conscious of keeping to no salt & sugar. The boys do get processed food ( like jar pasta sauce) more than I like. Of course having to feed bub could be our incentive to eat healthy food.

So true! I have found DH and I eat so much better now, we banned all soft drink and packet food and unfortunately for DH all processed meat ( he gets his bacon and sausage fix at lunch at work !) when I plan our weekly menu I now think is this healthy for my son ( he loves curry but when we want it hotter I take his portion out first before adding more chili!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think my husband would leave me if I banned coke & frozen pizza. That said I made sure he knew the score when our first bub was born ... You wouldn't give him a sip of beer or rum, so why would you give him coke??
    I'm proud to say my kids have never had soft drinks :-D