+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about rice cereal/farex!

Hey all
    I just saw some negative comments about farex in another post and was wanting more info.

It made sense to me that a baby's first food was bland and of similar taste to what they were used too ( ie rice cereal mixed with BM or formula).

My first 2 were BF with solids introduced at 6 months, starting with rice cereal. Both were onto cows milk & finished BFing by 13 months.

My bub 3 is 5 months so we are close to starting solids what is the opinion in first foods ( CHN sheet still says rice cereal)

xx

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Mum of 4yr boy, nearly 3yr boy & last but not least 5 month girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i started dd on farrax cereal with a bit of formula at 5mths (just for fun, not a meal). I was lucky she loved it, shoveled it in. I then started adding pureed apple or pear to it. I then introduced yoghurt mixed in with it when she was 7mths.
    Because its so bland, i used it to mix with most foods i was introducing. It also was a great thickener! It's packed with iron and can be mixed with anything. I thought it was great for my dd.
    Many ppl dont like it because THEY think it tastes like cardboard and refuse to make their bubs eat it. Well its not for THEM to eat! Bub's are quite happy with bland stuff at first
    Gooluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    See that's pretty much how I used it & thought it was good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Rice cereal is basically.... ground rice. Lol. I think that some people dislike it because they think it is highly processed, or that is something that it really isn't. You can make it yourself at home pretty easily, or buy it pre-done.

Rice and rice cereal is a very common first food in many cultures around the world. Many cultures absolutely DEPEND on rice as a staple in their diet. So it is common & normal in many cultures for rice to be a first food. Perhaps because we don't eat as much rice in Australia, some people also dislike it because they don't like rice themselves.

I agree with you... it's bland, mixes easily with the baby's normal milk, and is an easy first food if that's the way you want to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried rice cereal but ended up swapping to organic weetbix. I would leave it to get very sloppy so it was easier to digest and then would add less milk/ formula as he got older to make it less goopy.

Then I started to change the milk fairly slowly from formula to part cows milk to half cows milk and then full cows milk when he hit about 2 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think the old theory was babies need to be weaned on bland food but it is just not true! Breastmilk contains a huge variety of flavors and babies around the world are weaned on the food their parents eat ( curry, chili, spicy etc) we started DS on fresh food (BLW) and I added ginger, garlic and herbs to all his food , packet food was the done thing 100 years ago when they didn't have fresh food available, i just didn't want to start my son on a processed packet food that is pretty much void of nutrients

Thanks
    Reviews
    So EM what first foods did you use ( like very first)
    I'm the same with later baby food, I use alot of fresh herbs & a bit of garlic..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What a great article - Love that last line - metabolically its no different than giving babies a spoonful of sugar !

Thanks
    Reviews
    That was an interesting read.

So what was your babies first mouthful? I'm guessing very watered down purred meat? What order did you introduce things?

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Miss 4's first foods were banana (that she stole from her sister), chunks of avocado, soft chunks of pumpkin etc and she skipped the farex/rice cereal stage altogether. Our mesh feeder was put to good use for foods like mango, frozen grapes etc
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 28-02-2012 at 21:09.